Longhorn Beetle and Centipede - William Henry Knife

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Here are two knife scales I just finished for William Henry Studios.

William_Henry_B10_Longhorn_Beetle_74.jpg
William_Henry_B10_Longhorn_Beetle_Detail.jpg
This is their B10 model, and the scales are 416 stainless steel. I’ve placed one main inlay on them, a longhorn beetle in shibuichi (25% silver, 75% copper) with 24k gold antennae. The other side has a highly carved centipede with 24k gold legs. If you look closely, you might find a small jumping spider as well.

I vividly remember seeing one of these bad boy centipedes as a young child in Texas, when I was perhaps 5 or 6. Black body and startlingly yellow legs, it seemed like it was a foot long and struck me as being “powerful.â€￾ Bugs aren’t something you would normally think of as powerful. Stingers, biters, scratchers, yes, but not as having power. But this thing was angry, not happy being held down with a stick across its’ middle, and it seemed to be winning the fight.

As usual, you can see the ad nauseum multiple part tutorial of making these at my blog: http://sterlingsculptures.com/wp/?p=3220

Thanks for looking!

Tom

Last edited:

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
Those have got to be some of the coolest handles ever!

It reminds me of the late 1800's when buttons were made with bugs, bats and insects.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
very nice job a great look to it. i'm thinkin maybe you were rasslin with a small rattler ! they have an attidude & bite far worse than a centipede. was the bug idea yours, or your clients ?

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
Just north of Ft Stockton TX in Coyanosa there is a little store that has a centipede embedded in the counter top that is about a foot long. That and the cotton gin
are about all there is to Coyanosa.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. I always appreciate the feedback. These were a lot of fun - it was just one of those projects that just comes together, and everything falls into place. I live for those!

i'm thinkin maybe you were rasslin with a small rattler ! they have an attidude & bite far worse than a centipede. was the bug idea yours, or your clients ?

Hi Monk, If it was a rattlesnake, she had lots of yellow legs! And the bugs were my idea - the William Henry folks have been great clients to work with. They pretty much let me have free reign with what I want to do.

Tom

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well done! I know that William Henry is only taking on different and interesting things these days. It's quite an accomplishment just to make it on their list!
Layne

Sponsors