Lion on brief case

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a lion I did on a briefcase some years ago. The engraving was the easy part for me. I really struggled with the color painting. I used acrylics. But I was very satisfied with the result as I'm not a painter. I apologize for the quality and glare of the photo. I is a digital pic of a gloss photo.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Christiaan,
Your animal anatomy is right on the money. I saw that gun case you did and that was a marvelous job. Keep us posted with more of your work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

Andrew Biggs

Hi Christiaan

Outstanding leatherwork. Beautiful!!!

Did you ever get that American magazine called "Make it with Leather"? I still have some old ones from about 30 years ago. (I can't believe I just said that!!!) That used to have some really interesting patterns in it for making projects, carvings etc. I don't even know if the magazine is still available now.

If you like, I can try and dig them up and photocopy some of the more interesting things for you.

Cheers
Andrew

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks JJ and Andrew,
I would appreciate interesting articles from "Make it with leather". I have been looking in SA for those magazines but have not been able to find any. I would especially like articles that Al and Ann Stohlman wrote. I have been getting the Leathercrafter and Saddlers Journal for the last 15 years but lost out on the older "predecessor" leather magazine. I was privileged to meet Ann in 2001 at the Rocky Mountain leather show in Sheridan, WY. I hope to attend that show again, one day.

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Christiaan, your leather work is outstanding!! i do a little leather work also but nothing like the caliber of work you are doing. Your work is very inspiring!

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words Steve. The fantastic work of the guys on this forum is an inspiration to me. I'm glad if my work can be an inspiration to others.

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Christian,
Your Work is Amazing!!!
Who Did You do The Bag For?
The Wording is in My Langauge, Afrikaans, that is here in Africa,
I also Do a Lot of Leather Burning of Animals!!!

Keep posting,
chrisB.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Christiann

I'll dig out those magazines in the next couple of weeks and photocopy any Stohlman articles for you. Al Stohlman was probabley the greatest leather artist that ever lived and he pioneered modern leather carving. His books are as good today as when they were first printed. It must have been quite something to meet his wife who was a top leather artist in her own right.

From memory there was also a lady that did some pretty amazing wildlife patterns as well in the magazines so I'll photocopy them as well. I'll PM you and get your address when that's all done.

Cheers
Andrew

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Christian,
Your Work is Amazing!!!
Who Did You do The Bag For?
The Wording is in My Langauge, Afrikaans, that is here in Africa,
I also Do a Lot of Leather Burning of Animals!!!

Keep posting,
chrisB.
Thanks Chris,
I've seen your work on your site and yours is stunning. I like the burning you do. I bought the soldering iron but never really put effort into it. I prefer the carving. Your scrimshaw is exceptional.

Yes, the writing is in the Heavenly Language, Afrikaans:D :D I'm probably only a 90 miles from you, in Witbank.

Latest posts

Sponsors