Question: Lindsay Quick Change?

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok you Lindsay users out there, I have a question. I'm attempting to help a new engraver. He wants to use the GRS Easy Graver fixture. The fixture requires the GRS Quick Change collet. Anyone know how to make the QC Collet fit into a Lindsay Classic? Or is there another solution?

mrthe

I think that the more easy way will be buy a lindsay template and sharp directly the graver without modify the QC ,for me not have a great sense have to make modifications if you friend use the Lindsay classic handpiece and a similar system is avaible for it.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There does not seem to be a similar system for the Lindsay. The idea is to get away from the templates.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The EG120 is pretty darn similar geometry to the calligraphy template.

Basically the easy graver fixture is virtually the same idea as a template. There's really no thinking involved in either system as your are dealing with predetermined angles.

I have both systems, and really don't like using either of them. I really prefer the dual angle fixture or sharpening by hand.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
He liked the speed of the EG. Steve Linsay just called and explained that the templates were being used incorrectly thus taking way to long.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here's my comment on the EasyGraver review thread from months back:

"I would also like to reiterate that this fixture is designed to sharpen gravers mounted in GRS QC holders. If you're not using QC holders, then this fixture is probably not your best choice. While it's possible to mount a graver in a QC holder just to sharpen with this fixture, it's not likely to be your best bet and you should choose another sharpening method. This is probably the fixture's biggest limitation.

On the other hand, an inherent benefit of the EasyGraver fixture is that the graver geometry does not vary with graver length or in the relationship of the height of the sharpening surface to the table surface like with template systems."

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd say forget the QC fixture, just get a Dual Angle fixture instead. It takes seconds to drop a graver in from the back and I've never really seen the advantage of the QC fixture. Trying to adapt the QC fixture is not going to be easy in my opinion.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can get a little widget for the Dual Angle fixture that the GRS QC collets plug in to which is even faster.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You can get a little widget for the Dual Angle fixture that the GRS QC collets plug in to which is even faster.

That won't help someone with a Lindsay handpiece. The adapter is made for QC collet use.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Why not set your screw on the grs quick change collet so that the lindsay qc collet can just slide in...
Then stick the grs collet in the fixture, and pop the Lindsay quick change on and off?
Better is if you replaced the set screw in the grs qc with a nylon one, you might be able to give it more pressure.

Latest posts

Sponsors