Lindsay grind on GRS grinding machine

D Goldenberg

I have purchased the entire GRS sharpening system. Works great. I would like to use GRS system to grind the Lindsay relief angle pattern. Does anyone know how to do this?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if i understand yer question---- if i wanted to do this i would elevate the sharpening disk above the level of the graver. meaning the graver would be pointing upwards as opposed to the normal downward angle. this can prove to be a bit awkward. practice on a dummy piece of steel till you get the feel of the procedure. relieve each side equally. dont go so far as to destroy the graver point. doing that, the relief will do no good. the other way the same---
do the relief first than do the actual face angle

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
For a 120° graver I sharpen the reshape grinds to a 30° rotation angle @ approximately 2.5° of lift on the toolpost angle.

Face is 45°.

Parallel heel can be dialed in by trial and error. If you want 15° of lift, set the toolpost angle to 15 and adjust rotation angle until you sharpen to a parallel heel. Make note of your settings for resharpening.

I use the GRS EasyGraver fixture which makes a nearly parallel heel so I don't know what the numbers are for using a Dual Angle fixture. But it's quite easy to adjust rotation angle and test until you nail it.

monk

Staff member
Monk are you talking about just doing a regular reverse belly grind?
yes. i have the lindsay template to do that. slick, for sure. i use the grs dual angler, and not the newest fixture by them. with the dual angle fixture, it would be possible to do this. but i'd think it would be sort of hit or miss untill one got used to doing it that way. i think it would be a bit tricky to get the elevation needed without a lot of trial and error.

monk

Staff member
For a 120° graver I sharpen the reshape grinds to a 30° rotation angle @ approximately 2.5° of lift on the toolpost angle.

Face is 45°.

Parallel heel can be dialed in by trial and error. If you want 15° of lift, set the toolpost angle to 15 and adjust rotation angle until you sharpen to a parallel heel. Make note of your settings for resharpening.

I use the GRS EasyGraver fixture which makes a nearly parallel heel so I don't know what the numbers are for using a Dual Angle fixture. But it's quite easy to adjust rotation angle and test until you nail it.
sam: i never actually did that using the dual angle fixture. i simply meant that such a grind was possible. sorry to have no real data to share. the few times i did that grind, i used the lindsay template.