Lettering

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Greg knife 2 75%.jpg Greg Knife 75%.jpg

I was given about 25 of these knives. They are pretty low quality, brass with a thin nickel? plating.

They brass was hard to engrave, and scratches - slips can not be fixed. Seemed best to go very slow, and a little deeper than usual. but I like the white against the brass lettering look.
The blue stars on the one side is there because I wanted to engrave Texas stars there. But could not fiqure out how to do it. The reciever is a watch dealer From Texas.

Most people would say these knives should not be engraved due to their low quality, the hardness of the brass, ( when doing push power), and being plated. I agree, but have done about 12 so far anyway as gifts. People seem to really like them, even though they don't understand how it was done. People do like to see their name engraved.

There a more than a few slip and mistakes, but all in all about the best I can do with this material. I find soft steel is much easier to hand push engrave.

Push power, and drawn directly to work, no transfers.
Comments, critiques, etc welcome.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's the nickle plating that is hard, not the brass and you're a brave soul cutting through it. Those inexpensive knives are unpredictable in hardness as it varies all over the thing. Hard to keep things consistent in that medium.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not bad looking at all. since they're not expensive, an excellent practice, not only for lettering, but engraving on "cranky stuff". my term for stuff i don't like orking on.

Latest posts

Sponsors