Lettering examples

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Another thread led me to look at some of my photos of lettering in stone, and I came across a few interesting ones.

bronze.jpg

Cortopassi.jpg

canepa-widow_of_podesta.jpg

carnesecchi.jpg

Gargoyle

Dall'orso.jpg

peirano.jpg

Paganetto.jpg

Lavezzari.jpg

Gargoyle

Wax-lead_filled_lettering.jpg

Note these next two are from the same grave, the book sits on the tomb with the new deco carving.

Viani.jpg

Viani-book.jpg

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was curious enough to translate the words chiseled into the monument with the star of David. For those who may be interested it reads:
The holy memory of Maurizio Wax, Victim of Nazi hatred. His wife and children were denied the only comfort of crying on his grave. This is a memorial of an immense asset lost. Hope for a better life as a prize for so much martyrdom.
January 1874 - January 1944

I'm sure there is a very sad story connected to that monument.

Gargoyle

These two are on the Cathedral (Duomo) in Pisa. Recycling materials from older buildings, and sometimes if you defeat and sack another city you knock down a few of their monuments or buildings and cart the material home for reuse. I suspect putting in the inscriptions upside down or sideways may have been a deliberate thumbing of the nose at the vanquished.

Pisa-lettering-2.jpg

pisa-lettering-1.jpg

Gargoyle

Interesting lettering layout, note the second "t" in the family name.

Viareggio-Michetti.jpg

The "s" and "n" create quite a dramatic effect. Imaging the difference if those two letters were more normal.

Viareggio-Carlesi.jpg

this one can be hard to read. I made a reverse/negative image (posted below the first image) since that might help you read it.

Viareggio-Morteuus.jpg

Viareggio-Morteuus-invert.jpg