Question: Lets talk about hearing protection / noise cancelling headphones - What do you use?

Fetzi_DLL

Hi Folks,
I have a tinnitus - which makes the high pitched noise some engraving work does even worse. I amd a beginner and used those earpieces from costruction sites and under that some bluetooth in ears for some music. Now both is broken and it's time to find something new.
What do you guys use, if any?

And what i am specially interested in: I like to listen to music or podcasts while engraving. Have you had success with any Noise cancelling headphones? My cheap ones didn't get the job done, so i'm interest if maybe something better could handle it.

Hae a great day :)

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I don’t have noise canceling headphones but use my beyerdynamic dt770 pros. They are an over ear headphone with super good sound quality and good sealing around the ears with large soft pads. They block out all noise while listening to music and engraving. Not sure about podcasts I will test that next engraving session.

BWoodworker

I will leave other people to the recommendations but I just want to point out that "noise canceling" does not equal hearing protection.

Hearing protection will have an NRR(noise reduction rating) number on the package or website from a certified agency. If they dont again it's not hearing protection.

I am kinda shopping here as well so I am curious what other people recomed. I am aware of Isotunes Festool and Milwaukee all making Bluetooth hearing protection.

Right now I wear shotgun muffa over Bluetooth earpieces if I want to be able to hear music and make noise in the shop.

Mike576

I will also note I use 3m work tunes when I’m doing any sort of yard work, wood working, loud tool stuff. They would also be a great fit for what you’re looking for. Only con is they squeeze the heck out of your head and get uncomfortable at least for me after about 2 hours

timothyfalls88

Hi Folks,
I have a tinnitus - which makes the high pitched noise some engraving work does even worse. I amd a beginner and used those earpieces from costruction sites and under that some bluetooth in ears for some music. Now both is broken and it's time to find something new.
What do you guys use, if any?

And what i am specially interested in: I like to listen to music or podcasts while engraving. Have you had success with any Noise cancelling headphones? My cheap ones didn't get the job done, so i'm interest if maybe something better could handle it.

Hae a great day :)
I also have tinnitus and TTTS. In-ear headphones make my condition worse so I only use over hear protection. 3M makes some great noise cancelling over ear wireless headphones called Worktunes. I Bluetooth to my phone and play audiobooks and music. They have great sound quality, great noise cancelling capabilities and good battery life. Here is a link for Amazon

3M WorkTunes Connect Hearing Protector with Bluetooth Technology https://a.co/d/9MGANnY

Here is a link to them on Amazon.

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
I used Bose QC noise cancelling headphones at work (not for engraving) for some years, and at the highest setting the acoustic isolation is so strong that it feels strange. They do work for your purpose, but you have to get used to this feeling. You‘ll also loose some acoustic feedback from your engraving machine / workpiece.

Cheers

Ralf

Fetzi_DLL

@Mike576 The Beyerdynamic seem nice, although i'd prefer Bluetooth. Mabe their Amiron Wireless with different pads.

@rweigel true, a little audiofeedback is important. So maybe something that does no noise cancelling but just reducing the sound.

@timothyfalls88 and @Mike576 The 3M Headphones seem like a really good solution to try. Maybe they will hurt after a while, but then it's time to move the body anyways to encounter back problems :) Thanks y'all :)

DaveatWeirs

Some sound deadening might go a long way, I noticed a big difference after putting a bookshelf full of reference books and some sound deadening foam thingies under and around my bench. Ig your vice is sitting on something like a wooden table or the like be sure to put some foam on the bottom to stop it acting like a resonator, or if it's on a pedestal put some under the catch tray (I had to tape a bunch of towels to a dish I was doing cuz it was acting like a gong every time I tried to cut it)

For headphone I use those wireless ones that still have a wire between them. The earbuds tend to be real small but good at blocking sound, they last ages and they're so cheap that I got two so I can use one pair while the other charges. These are the exact ones I have, you're not guna get crazy audiophile level audio but they do the job. (also you can wear em under regular ear protection, I do this when I'm chewing up the garden with a weedwhacker).
I don't have any particular loyalty to that exact model, just the format if that makes sense, so you might be able to get nicer/fancier ones. I'm mostly doing jewellery so if you're doing inlay or heavy engraving they might not be enough.

gcmeleak

I suffer from the dreadful stuff to. All of the machine shops, military, oilfield work, construction so I have said the heck with it and turn on the stereo and when I listen to my stereo the whole neighborhood gets to listen to. No tinnitus problem then

T.G.III

Yup, thirty years + in the trades using power tools in enclosed spaces, tinnitus is real, have to remind the squeeze that it's not selective.

Movie or music for background noise.

Those of you that don't have the curse, do everything in your power to protect what you have, it negatively affects most every aspect of your life.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They make ones for hunting,, can actually use them for amplifying the sounds of your surroundings.. but they cut out anything over a certain DB. Are also Bluetooth for music.. i forget, but assume they will let in calls too.. i think axil is the brand.. but i dont think they are doing anything much beyond what Milwaukee is doing.

Artist007

I have a set of some earlier generation Beats headphones that I use sometimes while working, so I can hear YouTube videos on my phone without interruption when my compressor kicks on. As BWoodworker mentioned, Beats probably wouldn’t necessarily have a “noise reduction rating”, but since day one of having them, I was really impressed with how much external sound they actually block. If you’re wanting to listen to something while working, and block external noise, it’s a good solution.They look like gun range earmuffs or studio headphones, but I suppose that’s what makes them so effective at blocking sound. I would imagine later model Beats would probably be similar.

Artist007

I have a set of some earlier generation Beats headphones that I use sometimes while working, so I can hear YouTube videos on my phone without interruption when my compressor kicks on. As BWoodworker mentioned, Beats probably wouldn’t necessarily have a “noise reduction rating”, but since day one of having them, I was really impressed with how much external sound they actually block. If you’re wanting to listen to something while working, and block external noise, it’s a good solution.They look like gun range earmuffs or studio headphones, but I suppose that’s what makes them so effective at blocking sound. I would imagine later model Beats would probably be similar.
BTW, I was also extremely impressed with the quality of sound Beats produce.

Sponsors