Leaf Script for Z letter

JIA

Elite Cafe Member
photo.JPG I'm trying to draw Z letter with some leaf script with no luck

can some one plz help me out with a start or at least point me to the right direction how to draw it.!!

i looked at Sam instruction and the igraver tutorial and i cant seem to get it.

thanks for the help :bow::bow:

jakob

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Jakob,
Looks pretty good.
After looking at it a bit I have an opinion so take it for what it's worth, I would flip the c-scroll (top left) over as in the formal flow of a script letter. The top loop of the main stem goes under the main stem but the loop at the bottom I like to take over the main stem. I think to liven up the letter a little would be to taper the scrolls into the leaf element, same idea as the thick thin in a script letter which will give you a lot more movement to the letter. I don't care for the lines inside the body of the letter myself but I think I see what you're trying to do. Maybe using a more traditional shading technique will also give more shape and movement to it. Sorry I don't have the know how to draw out or do it on your sketch to illustrate what I'm saying on this computer.
Hope I wasn't too confusing, lol.
Mark

JIA

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you guys for the direction, Mark i think i get what you are saying, i will try and do it tomorrow , will post a pic for the update.

Jakob

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
keep a looseleaf "journal". save your drawings. you will see progress, but for most folks this thing doesn't happen overnight. lots of drawing practice is needed to get the "feel" for what you'e trying to do. somewhere in the tips section, maybe, i think sam displayed a complete style sheet for these letters. if you follow his lead, you'll not go wrong. the "feel" is my definition when you can literally design without thinking much about it. it just comes out of your pencil.

JIA

Elite Cafe Member
OK guys any comment is welcome !plz dont be shy im open for all suggestions...
:beatup::beatup::beatup:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 315

JIA

Elite Cafe Member
oh man just from 5 min ago and im adding more leaf to the letter ....

im going leafy here.:rolleyes::rolleyes::clapping::tiphat:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 299

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
This is more of a comment than a criticism. If you split the letter into 3 pieces, two horizontal and one vertical/diagonal, you notice that both the horizontal pieces are in the foreground. I wonder if you might not get more depth by changing one of the loops so that one of them is in back of the diagonal.

JIA

Elite Cafe Member
you are more than welcome to draw a correction lines on my drawing if you like, im putting another one now..

Attachments

• z2.JPG
    z2.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 299

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wonder if you might not get more depth by changing one of the loops so that one of them is in back of the diagonal.
I agree. If you were to "write" the Z, the top horizontal would be under the vertical and the bottom one would be over it.

mrthe

look very great! you have try maybe draw the leafs of the corpse up and not down? maybe will be result more dinamic and more lightness thedesign ;) is only a possibility your draw look great!

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
I would reduce the scale of the bottom leaves to match the top and move the bottom element behind the main stem. Having it in front and the leaves larger, makes it look like an upper case L. Just my thought.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Good to see you Joe!

Some of those letters I like and some I don't. Some would be difficult to recognize while others seem quite nice and very usable.

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam,

I agree with your comments. The fact is that I really find an exemplar where I like all the letter formss. One of the traditional uppercase 'Z' letters in Zanerian style Engraver's script looks akin to the number '2'........I absolutely hate it and refuse to make it in my workshops....hehe! The Rare Penmanship/Calligraphic Books available for free on the IAMPETH web site contain many forms that engraver's would love. There is no reason why the forms can't be optimized for shape and legibility.

http://www.iampeth.com/books.php

Regards,

Joe

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Joe, those books are a treasure trove! Thanks for making them available. Fantastic stuff!

ivar

Jakob, I draw a few drawings of Z I hope it will help you.
regards,
Ã￾var