layout white

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
hmm interesting.. i have used layout fluid in metal fab projects but i have only seen it in red and blue

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Don't know if its any good but I have a bottle on its way. Been wanting to order some other things from them, so I finally got to it.
I will post my results when I get it and use it.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't know if its any good but I have a bottle on its way. Been wanting to order some other things from them, so I finally got to it.
I will post my results when I get it and use it.

Dale

please keep us posted, although I think I won't be able to hold out and just get one

Carlos De La O III

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I have used it. You can draw on it with pencil or ink. You can correct pencil lines using a soft eraser, if you are careful. It is easily removed with window cleaner or alcohol. They also suggest diluted ammonia but that may have some affect to metal.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Interesting in knowing if it is any different from white-out correction fluid?
I would guess that it's different. I have tried White-Out on polished steel and it will rust it.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From the Laurel Mountain Forge website: Engraving & Layout White

Engraving & Layout White is a unique low gloss, water based coating designed expressly for the metal worker. It is a non-glare coating that has excellent adhesion to brass, steel and plastic surfaces. It readily accepts pencil and ink layout lines and is completely erasable. If you need to correct a line, just erase with a non-abrasive eraser. After erasing, the line can be re-drawn without reapplication of Engraving & Layout White. When you are ready to remove Engraving & Layout White, just wipe the surface with a dilute ammonia and water solution or any window cleaner that contains ammonia. Engraving & Layout White contains no silica, so it will not dull gravers or other metal working tools.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
I have not tried the product in the link. But is sounds very much like what I am using now.
Which is Elmers Painters Opaque Paint Marker. Pearlescent white.

Looks like a magic marker. Cost $2.49 in 9/2010 at a art supply store. Does not say how much paint it contains.

Works great. Far better than chinese white. I need something durable since I only hand push, and my thumb is braced against the work, or I pivot on my thumb. Rubs away the pencil line, and also wears away the white.

The Elmers dries fast, pencil lines show up dark, and can erase with a white eraser. If I want extra durability I give it a light coat of Mop N Glo with a foam pad using a blotting action after penciling. Then the paint and pencil lines are close to bullet proof. Cannot rub off. It is a little hard to remove the Elmers. Alcohol does work, but takes some rubbing. Ammonia works about the same.

Before was using a Sharpie white marker. Not as durable as the Elmers, but the Mop n Glo makes it close to bullet proof. One disadvantage versus Elmers is that the pencil lines don't show up as dark. Not quite as strong as the Elmers when erasing, but pretty good. Advantage over Elmers is that it is very easy to quickly clean up with alcohol, even with the top coat of Mop and Glo.

Mop and Glo is a water based acrylic floor finish. Used on Kitchen floors etc. Doubt it matters which brand you use. I like it much better than spray lacquers etc. Quick and easy to apply a nice even thin coat. Then warm up a little with a heat gun for a couple seconds. Wait about 15 seconds for it to cool and set. And then you can cut.

Neither the paint or floor finish have any effect on the graver when cutting.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have not tried the product in the link. But is sounds very much like what I am using now.
Which is Elmers Painters Opaque Paint Marker. Pearlescent white.

Looks like a magic marker. Cost $2.49 in 9/2010 at a art supply store. Does not say how much paint it contains.

Works great. Far better than chinese white. I need something durable since I only hand push, and my thumb is braced against the work, or I pivot on my thumb. Rubs away the pencil line, and also wears away the white.

The Elmers dries fast, pencil lines show up dark, and can erase with a white eraser. If I want extra durability I give it a light coat of Mop N Glo with a foam pad using a blotting action after penciling. Then the paint and pencil lines are close to bullet proof. Cannot rub off. It is a little hard to remove the Elmers. Alcohol does work, but takes some rubbing. Ammonia works about the same.

Before was using a Sharpie white marker. Not as durable as the Elmers, but the Mop n Glo makes it close to bullet proof. One disadvantage versus Elmers is that the pencil lines don't show up as dark. Not quite as strong as the Elmers when erasing, but pretty good. Advantage over Elmers is that it is very easy to quickly clean up with alcohol, even with the top coat of Mop and Glo.

Mop and Glo is a water based acrylic floor finish. Used on Kitchen floors etc. Doubt it matters which brand you use. I like it much better than spray lacquers etc. Quick and easy to apply a nice even thin coat. Then warm up a little with a heat gun for a couple seconds. Wait about 15 seconds for it to cool and set. And then you can cut.

Neither the paint or floor finish have any effect on the graver when cutting.

Kevin,

I have tried your ideas and they work great, I have bought, the sharpie Michael's does not carry the elmers brand, that's according to the workers there. The only issue I have with the sharpie is that it flakes somewhat, even with the mop and glo. But it still works none the less.

I used it here.

Carlos De La O III

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Kevin,

I have tried your ideas and they work great, I have bought, the sharpie Michael's does not carry the elmers brand, that's according to the workers there. The only issue I have with the sharpie is that it flakes somewhat, even with the mop and glo. But it still works none the less.

I used it here.

Carlos De La O III

Carlos, I put a much thinner coat of the paint on than you have in the picture. Sometimes if it is ends up to thick I use alcohol on a foam pad or foam paint brush to make the coating thinner.
the thinner coat seems stronger. When I have a thicker coat, I also have an issue with chipping or flaking. The thinner coat takes the pencil lines a little better too. Maybe because the Sharpie is a gloss paint.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Don't know about that brand, but I use the dykem white.
I have a 16 oz. bottle that I have been using for years and still have most of it left. Paint the transfer fluid over it and the transfer POPS out for old eyes.
:shock:

Rolland

I am very new to the art of engraving so I read all the posts with interest drawing a pattern has been a troublesome part of the process. So putting to use what I have learned here, I discovered that if I use a thin layer of white Craftsmart acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby and cover it with a thin layer of Mop & Glo it will take a number 2 pencil drawing very well. I can also erase if needed as long as I use a soft eraser and am careful not to rub hard. The paint is a flat finish.
It is easily removed with a little soap and water.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rolland you have it in the wrong order,,add your white paint what ever brand you choose, hopefully you can draw on it with a pencil, then when you have your drawing the way you like it and to avoid smearing it with your hand, you apply a layer of mop n glo, or what ever else you choose, some people use hair spray.

Here is another a video that shows how to add the mop and glo, the the Idea is Kevins, I just modified it to my use.

http://youtu.be/jUgvtqHYPPQ

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos
That's it.
Also sold by MSC in gallons, which would take 10, 000, 000 engravers 43 years to use.
I like to use spray fixative for paintings as a protective coating.

Last edited:

Sponsors