Critique Request Late Night Engraving

vondershred

Hey y’all,

This must be my fifth engraving, if not counting the botched practice plates with just random lines and scribbles. This one took me two hours to complete.

I also sharpened my two gravers (0.4 and 0.8 QC flats) by hand after watching Sam Alfano’s video a few times on how to sharpen by hand with the EZE-laps. I found those on Amazon. I did a few soft passes on the face, and geeeeently did the heels with the finest grit but only three passes on each side. I must say there’s a positive and noticable difference. The graver cuts much better at a more vertical angle, and it slips much less. I also get the feeling it cuts much smoother and less jittery. BUT, I don’t see myself sharpening this way should I engrave on a daily basis.

I kinda like the overall result of the engraving, but I’d like my shading to be better. I never was great at shading my own drawings (this design is from the internet) and neither am I good at it even when the acetone transfer already has shading on the design. Determined to work on that, I think it’s very important and really “makes or breaks” the effort.

Thanks for viewing, and as always all advice is welcome and much appreciated!

Tristan.

IMG_6837.jpeg

IMG_6840.jpeg
IMG_6838.jpeg

IMG_6841.jpeg

Latest posts

Sponsors