Critique Request Laserjet transfer method practice engraving

I was doing practice with laser jet transfer and engraving. The image is from one of Alan Revere's books if I remember right. The first photo is bare, the second with paint, and the third is the image I used. I sized down the image to one inch in Adobe Illustrator and did an acetone transfer. I like the results, but I'm starting to see why others like to draw their patterns. I feel like my lines are much straighter and correct when I draw a pattern than when I do a transfer. What do you all think of this? I've said it before on other posts, don't hold back the criticism, because I would rather know how I can improve. IMG_2716.jpg IMG_2717.jpg practice image for engraving.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the technique i favored was to draw or transfer the basic backbones and cut everything else "on the fly" as some would say.
i feel more spontaniety results that way. having said that, i admit most of my designs weren't very complicated.
i think your leaf work, external to the main scroll kinda destroys the "flow". jmho

the technique i favored was to draw or transfer the basic backbones and cut everything else "on the fly" as some would say.
i feel more spontaniety results that way. having said that, i admit most of my designs weren't very complicated.
i think your leaf work, external to the main scroll kinda destroys the "flow". jmho
Thanks for the feedback, Monk and tdelewis. I'm going to look at more scroll work to see where I can improve. I suppose I should study and draw more, then try again!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks for the feedback, Monk and tdelewis. I'm going to look at more scroll work to see where I can improve. I suppose I should study and draw more, then try again!
there's several books on creating pleasant design. also dvd disks. they all start you out in an easy way to work a design into a specific shape. well worth a few dollars to get on track.

Sponsors