Question: Laser Printers

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know some of you young whipersnapper techy types can give me a straight answer about Laser printers. So Here goes. My old dinosaur hp 1100 has gone over the divide and I have to go find something that will do the same high quality printing for transfers and I dearly would love some suggestions from you please?

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

Try to find a HP laserjet 4 plus..
It will never die it seems, cheap to maintain and works great. Check goodwill, salvation army and ebay.
Any of the 4 series are very well made.

AirAmp

I know some of you young whipersnapper techy types can give me a straight answer about Laser printers. So Here goes. My old dinosaur hp 1100 has gone over the divide and I have to go find something that will do the same high quality printing for transfers and I dearly would love some suggestions from you please?

Hi Silver,

I have good luck with Windows 7 and a USB to Parallel IEEE 1284 Printer Adapter driving an old Hewlett Packard HP6P. You can still find the HP6P used if you look around.

I would think that other printers would work as well.

Good luck!

Regards,

Matt

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
I use a Brother brand laser printer for my stuff. They are fairly affordable and very reliable. I use the baking parchment trick with mine and it works every time. The Brother printers connect with a basic USB cable and are current with all of the new operating systems.

hope that helps,
John

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's my understanding that Brother laser printers don't work with the acetone transfer method. At least that's what several students have told me.

I've always used HP printers with excellent results, and my current laser printer is a Canon printer-copier which I'm very happy with.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Get a test print out from the store and do a test transfer. Best way to guarantee a transferable printer.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
My HP 45050 has done half million pages with no trouble.
My wife's 1320 is faster and more compact, lighter weight and just as durable, but I don't need the speed.

As Sam noted in an earlier thread, some of the inkjet printers can give greater detail than the laser. I just don't use them enough and the ink cartridges dry out and clog.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Neither my brother printer or fax work with acetone transfer. I use it on parchment as stated above but not for too small details.

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
My 69 Dollar Dell from Wally world works just fine. I only wish would be that it had a scanner on it. Sucks to have to jump from one unit to the other

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well I ended up with an HP printer1606 laser and then my Epson ate the dust too so I dug out my other HP3210 color jet printer. It is an all-in-one,and I use it for scanning and printing on film. I still like the laser transfers when it comes to lettering.

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
i try not to resurect threads, however, my brother laser printer has stopped working well over the last few days. After re-reading this thread it seems that any of the HP laserjet printers should work well for transfers. However, I'm not certain how this type of transfer works. I also looked through the tips section and couldn't find a thread on this type of transfer either. Can someone please go over how the HP transfer system works with one of the laserjet systems.

thanks a lot!
John

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
For me a samsung ml1660 black only laser works a treat work with the acetone transfer method I think I paid about £40 GBP including carrage on ebay I have not used baking paper just plain cheap copy paper and had good results I am sure it would do the baking paper if you back it with a plain sheet
Ray

John Cole

Elite Cafe Member
I did a bit more research and digging though the archives and tip sections, and picked up a HP laserjet M1212 with a scanner. Now to try and make the acetone transfer work.....
wish me luck.

Latest posts

Sponsors