Question: Just starting out

Kuro

I've just recently thought about taking up engraving, Im completly new to this and I do want to someday be a pro at it. Could anyone point me in the right direction for tools and such. Im not exactly rich right now so i was thinking of starting off with a simple hammer and chisel type of thing. Would be great to hear your opinions

EDIT: I would also like to know what are good tools to start off with.

Last edited:

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Get the "Art of Engraving" by James B. Meeks. You can order it from a library or buy it and read it cover to cover. Good books can get you on the road to self teaching with quality information. Also, this forum can provide infinite information. The web and you tube can also be a great aid. Engraving is a cumulative art which means that you will progress your whole life till you get old and your body gives out. Study typography and fonts too as well as life drawing. Don't make up fonts out of the blue or your work will look amateurish. Start with examples from typography books. When you see a product package, greeting card, whatever, look at the fonts and follow the layout examples in your environment.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
check the tips section on tool sharpening. there are methods requiring almost no money . it is important that you learn to sharpen your gravers with consistent geometry "angles". without this consistency, it's way more difficult to cut with ease and accuracy.

Latest posts

Sponsors