Just finished Engraving Harley Gas Cover

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
A customer came into my studio with his new Harley Motorcycle and showed me a engraved gas cover that came off his old harley. He asked me if I could reengrave the design off his old Harley Gas cover to the new Gas cover since the new one was larger. I finished and customer came in and picked it up. This was a chrome cover which I engraved through. I told the customer I might have problems but he said the first one was engraved without removing the chrome and after my warning I said I would try. Here it is what do you guys think.

Attachments

• Dennis H Harley 1.jpg
    Dennis H Harley 1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Dennis Hennessie Harley 2.jpg
    Dennis Hennessie Harley 2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Dennis Hennessie Harley 1a.jpg
    Dennis Hennessie Harley 1a.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bill, doesn't look like the chrome flaked any, at least you can't tell in the photo. What point did you use.

Todd

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Yes Doc a good photo setup would be great. I am working on that right now. However I was running late and the customer came to pick it up and I had to hurry and take pictures. I have 3 other Harley parts I will be engraving and I will try to take better pictures. I was just talking to Tira Mitchell and she gave me a few pointers on how to photograph mirror polished items.
Todd the Graver point i used was a lindsay 120 however I have now started to apply the info on the latest thread on not giving your graver a polish finish on anything other than things that need a bright cut applied like gold or silver. I only ground up to 1200 grit and did my heals short on a standing still 1200 grit plate, basically 3 short strokes and then quit. I did not break the tip through the hole project and the point cut right through the chrome and did not peal the chrome at all even under magnification there was no chipping.
I know that chrome can give you problems however this was a real harley part and I know that their products are quality. I did warn the customer of the possibility of chipping but every thing turned out alright.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bill,
Thanks, that's interesting. I've always been told that the chrome would flake off. Evidently not always.

Todd

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Sam its like photographing a mirror. I did not have time to figure out the angle to take this picture. I have a 5 sided white booth I use to take pictures in the sixth side is open for me to photograph through It has worked well before however this item has such a heavy reflection it was difficult I apologize for the lousy picture but it was the best I could do at the time. I have a couple of more Harley parts I will be engraving. Anyone out there with suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks again for the atta boy I always enjoy the encouragement. Now on to the next project. 8 pocket watches with a single script letter engraved on them.

Latest posts

Sponsors