Question: Jun-Air vs Silentair

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Looking to upgrade to a quieter compressor...I talked to and checked on the Silentair with GRS but know nothing of the Jun-Air. The Jun-Air seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the Silentair...at least on ebay.
Any comments good or bad with the Jun-Air?
Thanks
Jerry

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
if you're finding Jun-Airs cheaper than Silentair you are almost certainly comparing used Jun-Airs to new, or newer, Silentairs because brand new Jun-Airs are quite a bit pricier than Silentairs. Jun-Airs are generally considered the best of the best in quiet compressors. if you can find a good used one at a good price, they're the way to go. If you're running eqpt that uses a lot of air, such as a GraverMax/Mach, I'd highly recommend hunting down a Jun-Air with 2, or even 3, compressor motor heads. Even used it won't be cheap, but they are fantastic units.

another option to consider is the Werther Panther Silent line. They are essentially very high quality Italian-made Jun-Air clones (right down to some interchangeable parts) and usually run about 2/3 the price.
http://www.werther.com/products/Pan...arch=1&HCatid=4&strSearch=category&category=4

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mitch: Are Jun Air compressors available in the USA?

I wonder where those Werther units are made. China maybe?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yeah, Sam, i believe they are distributed by GAST here in the USA. http://www.jun-air.com/ over the years I've needed occasional parts or service and that's never been a problem. i've never actually bought one new (who can afford that???), but have been very happy with the 3-4 used units I've picked up here and there. i have the equivalent of one of these- http://www.jun-air.com/product_detail.aspx?ProductID=637&ProductTypeID=50 , that i assembled from a 3-head unit (tank developed a leak after 25 yrs- nothing lasts, right?) and a spare single motor unit. it's overkill, but i can run a gravermax full blast for hours and it barely gets warm.

the last i heard, Werther's top-of-the-line Panther Silent models were being made in Italy (Jun-Airs are made in Denmark). compared to their Danish counterparts, they're merely exorbitant, not ridiculous in price., but some great deals can be found on ebay and surplus medical & dental supply websites. iirc, Werther is one of the bigger compressor mfrs in the world and actually make Silentaires- seems one of their reps told me that a few years ago. they have the same address in Houston so it's probably safe to assume that's still the case...

Andrew Biggs

I've used a Jun-Air for years now and it's a great compressor. But they are very expensive for what they are and the prices have escalated in the last 5 years.

When mine eventually claps out I'll replace it with a Silent-Air. I've seen them in action (and used one) and they are a great unit and a lot cheaper.

You can cool either unit down with one of the GRS fans or you can buy a cheap small fan heater and set it on "fan only". That is all you need to keep the temperature down.

Cheers
Andrew

alfrisillo

I guess I have been out of the buying loop for silent compressors but I purchased a June Air about 6 years ago on ebay..it was new and I won the bid for about $700. It has served me well with no problems. I realize that some things change like where they are made etc. but I have bee more than satisfied with my purchase.
al