John Schippers my hat is off to you.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I received my copy of John's book "Engraving Historic Firearms" today. I have not had time to digest all of it in depth yet. However, my initial perusing of the book has left me quite impressed.

Very well put together, to the point and easy to understand. This by far surpasses James Meeks book as a book for beginners or anyone interested in historic black powder firearms. You did a good job John and I will be recommending my beginning students get them a copy of this.

Ray

PS. If you like black powder arms this thing is stuffed with eye candy!

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with you Ray, it is one of the best. It is not just for Muzzleloaders.. A muzzleloader is like a modern firearm, it is metal and wood. You are still cutting metal .. People ask me, why do you have so many books ?? Well, 35 years ago there was little information out there.. Now days, people take all the books for granted..Plus, they can attend class on engraving if they desire, wasnt so in the old days... With Mr. Schippers book, I would add as my library foundation the following--Nimschke smoke prints,Lynton Mckenzies smoke prints, Lee Griffiths Art and Design, Ron Smiths scrolls, Art of Engraving by Meeks, and build from there..

Attachments

• engraving historic firearms.jpg
    engraving historic firearms.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 315
  • Lynton Mckenkie-smoke prints.jpg
    Lynton Mckenkie-smoke prints.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 300
  • L.D. Nimschke-smoke prints.jpg
    L.D. Nimschke-smoke prints.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 297
  • art an design-Lee Griffiths.jpg
    art an design-Lee Griffiths.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 296
  • Art of engraving-Meeks.jpg
    Art of engraving-Meeks.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 291
  • scrolls by Ron Smith.jpg
    scrolls by Ron Smith.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Ray, I remembered you were looking for some non-sulfer clay. This is Van aken, pigmented oil-base compound, compatible with silicone mold compounds, contains no sulfer.

Attachments

• oil-base modeling clay.jpg
    oil-base modeling clay.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 293

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have added John's book to my library,

Thank you Ray and Richard, I will simply endorse your comments, as they cover all the good reasons to have this book! This is a golden age to acquire the above range of books (plus DVD's), and more, after the comparatively dry period of some decades ago.

Rod

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
Rod, your comments stirred something in me..Golden Age.. I dont think people fully realize that it only takes about 10 years, or a decade, to lose a craft or trade.. In the year 2000, our machine shop stopped hiring on students for varios reasons, stuff was being sent out of country because it supposingly was cheaper, that, and the kind of students we were getting in, to train, thought that they should be started out at top rate !!! They did not show up to learn a trade, but were only looking for a paycheck.. Machinists had also lost respect: everything was production-production-production !! It was burning people out,plus, the computor oriented society, was sitting on their behinds and making more money than those whom had learned a trade. Even garbage collectors were bringing in more money than us !! Alot caused the decline, whatever the reason, it still leaves a big void and a big loss, by not training people to carry on in our shoes..

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just got the book too. It's an amazing resource with stuff for everyone. It's a great compliment to the Ron Smith books, and the other design and engraving specific books out there.

I really like his approach to scroll design. He's absolutely right, when you boil down all scroll to it's most basic elements there really are only three shapes of line, C, S, and tendril.

laserboy

Okay, i will bite! I have not even put one scratch in metal yet but have my new gravermach up and running. I will buy these books! If you artisans say they are great, it must be so! By the way when I was attending school for watchmaking and Jewelry repair and stone setting 35 years ago at Bowman Technical school they taught hand engraving. One of my roommates took hand engraving and I have been sorry since then that I had not! But I'm going for it now! I just need to attend a few classes and pick at all of your brains. I look at what all of you can do and I am so inspired by looking at your fine work of art! So much so that I want someone to hand engrave a sign for my shop! Yes, I am willing to pay! Long story short I had a jewelry store that I started in 1984, 5 years ago I decided to close it up, money was getting tight only to discover one of my helpers had been stealing me blind!. The last 5 years I have worked more than 80 hours a week doing jewelry and watch repair for other stores in the area as well as retail. I have dedicated every moment and every cent into my shop as well as education on making myself better at the bench. I am at the moment where I crave more. I have always admired hand engravers and their art.My wife refers to my shop as the "dungeon". I want my new shop sign to say "genesis, a new begining" I want something I will see everyday that i can touch and feel that will give me the inspiration that I need. Any takers or any suggestions? Sorry I side tracked a little bit (alot) but it would mean alot to me! Lots of scroll, floral and ribbon please! Many thanks in advance! Larry

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I have John Shippers new book in my library and would recommend it to anyone starting out in the art of engraving,but if it were'nt for Meek's book The of Engraving I don't think we would be were today talking on two engraving fourms about this beautiful art. Larry good luck with your engrving.J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors