Japanese Alloy Lecture and Patina Demo

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
I wanted to let y’all know I’ve committed to presenting at Ashokan Bladesmith Conference 2012. Sept. 14-16 near Kingston,NY.

Since becoming enthralled with Japanese alloys and patina in the ‘80s I have also enjoyed sharing what I’ve discovered in the interest of urging others to try the alloys and patina out.

At Ashokan I’ll focus on the alloys and traditional niage patina necessary to develop the colors as seen in traditional Japanese sword fittings and other types of works. The rich palette available using this alloy/patina coalition has much to offer any metalsmith. This will be a somewhat refined version of a talk I gave at the Colorado Metalsmiths convention in 2008.

My slide-talk will include outstanding historical examples of Japanese work, showing detailed close-ups with observations of construction. I’ll also have examples of my own work showing adaptation of the tradition to my own personal expression.

There will also be a demo of the traditional niage patina process.

Registration and more info here: http://www.ashokanknifeseminar.com/

Here’s a link to my patina tutorial: http://www.jimkelso.com/japanpatina.html/tutorial.htm

Here are three pieces by Shoami Katsuyoshi courtesy of the Kiyomizu-Sannenzaka Museum, Kyoto, Japan:

kelsodaikon.jpg shoami3.jpg shoami2.jpg shoami1.jpg

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work Jim, and congrats on the presentation at the Ashokan Bladesmith Conference 2012. Sept.
Looks like for doing this kind of work, one need some Sake

arnaud

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the unique design you always show, combined with its' apparent simplicity is just precious to the eye. thank you for sharing what you create.

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Looks like for doing this kind of work, one need some Sake

arnaud

Thanks very much guys. Arnaud at least you need a sake brewer's apron!

I just want to make sure you guys know those aren't my works above, but were made by Shoami Katsuyoshi.

Latest posts

Sponsors