Question: ivory , teeth tusk pricing??

maako

some one has these items for sale in a lot for $600.00 and he said he has all the supporting paperwork to go with them. I dont know what paperwork is needed and is this a good price? any help on this,
thank you.

Attachments

• tusk, teeth.jpg
    tusk, teeth.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 207

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
It looks like there are three killer whale teeth and a walrus tusk. (I don't know what the other two pieces might be). They can be good fakes too. Real ones have a very small nerve canal in the end at the tip of a cone shaped depression in the big end. If you don't know for sure how to identify them... you could get stung.

$600.00 isn't a bad price if they are the real thing.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Maako is probably correct, as I have one of these but didn't get 'taken' as there was a trade involved. They used to cast these from some sort of resin, hollow, then fill them with plaster. A tipoff is the quality of the scrimshaw. You may also tell, although mine passed the 'test', of heating a straight pin, held with pliers and heated with a lighter with trying to pierce the bottom of the tooth/object. It should enter, slightly, if it's some sort of resin. I'm still suspicious of mine, and never would try to sell it as a genuine article. Nice conversation pieces, though. You have to be very careful out there.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Edit- Oops, just noticed where Maako has looked at the and passed on the deal - My bad, never mind!

I have a fair amount of experience with ivory carving, having been a professional netsuke carver in a previous life - Just looking at the colors in the photo, I think they are plastic, so $600 is a huge price. If they are real ivory, then $600 each would be a bargain! If you can't examine them in person and try the hot needle test BEFORE you buy, then RUN AWAY...

Of course, I could be wrong! However, I recommend you do not make this purchase. And, with new US policies concerning ivory possession, sale and transportation, any scrimshaw or carved items you might make from these would be problematic for sale in the US. I don't know what the laws in Japan are concerning ivory sale,possession, or transportation, but with the US likely out of the sale potential, your market may end up severely reduced.

Best of Luck!

Tom

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
better buy them anyway-- never know, there just may be "resin ban" legislation waiting in the wings.

Sponsors