Critique Request it's a bit plane

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't want to hurt your feelings... especially with your first post. So, I'll suggest learning some more about scroll drawing and cut some practice plates before cutting on the plane. But, it's your plane of course. :)

I would strongly suggest you purchase Sam's DVD on scroll drawing: http://www.engraving-videos.com/

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
for me, i find the scrolls to be rather unattractive. certainly lacking in the conventional aproach to scroll design. your work here, appears too "confusing" or disorganized. there is very little here that shows a graceful flow to the design. the encircled nemeral "4" if you're going to do that, i feel that both sides of the circle should have the same treatment. even though the plane is asymmetrical, i think a bit of symmetry would serve better. your scroll also lacks any shading.
there are several books available that show scroll development and design. if these are a bit pricey for you, check out the hundreds of examples of the work posted in the archive. download a few and print them oversize. this may help get you on the road to better design. good luck, and above all, judt keep drawing.

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Doc and Monk. Sam's video is the best money you can spend at this point. Then you'll want Lee's book and video. Your scrolls will flow better if they start from the larger areas into the smaller, or just the reverse of what you have. If you haven't already seen them, search "Cloudy" on this forum and look at her planes. Don't become discouraged. Practice, practice, practice until it looks on a practice plate just the way you want it on a project. If it doesn't look good on a practice plate, putting it on a project won't make it any better. I've screwed up my share.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Karl

Don't worry, we all started at exactly the same point. Knowing nothing!!

There are two aspects to engraving. The design and the cutting. The cutting side of things is just a technical skill that can be learnt with time and practice. You've started with that so it should only get better over the years.

The second aspect, design, is the artistic side of things and is a lot harder to master. But that's okay because that takes time and practice as well.

What is letting you down at this stage is the design which is only natural. What I would suggest is that you split your time into two sections. Drawing and cutting. The two go hand in hand and you can't have one without the other. I would also suggest that you perhaps take on smaller practice plates as Neal has advised. Leave the bigger and more challenging projects till you have become a bit more proficient.

Learn how to draw one good scroll........then how to fill it with leaves both inside and out. Then learn how to cut that one good scroll so it doesn't have any lumps and bumps. After that it is only a matter of connecting another scroll to the first. It sounds so easy and simple but as you've discovered, it's a lot harder than people think.

The golden rule is......a good design poorly cut is better than a bad design well cut.

Having said all that...........you've taken the most important step of all. That is buying some tools and starting. Keep at it, keep enthusiastic and keep absorbing as much information as you can. And most of all, never give up no matter how frustrating it seems. We all had to start in the same place so you are in good company :)

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
btw our statements regarding your engraving are meant to encourage, rather than discourage you. you are beginning this journey at a perfect time. there's so much info available today on this forum, books, & dvd's this all allows you to start doing things correctly. many of us learned the hard way. in my personal case, i'm still doing some things the wrong way. this is the result of learning the "wrong way". old, bad habits die hard as some say.

Latest posts

Sponsors