iPad or ?

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
I am seriously considering the purchase of a iPad for designing and drawing engraving. I have no clue as to which one, which size and what accessories are needed/good to have. Cost is not the primary concern. Useability for intended purpose that is VERY intuitive is top priority. Not absolutely dedicated to engraving support but mostly dedicated. You experience users please make recommendations.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Sam - Thanks I will take your advice.

One more questions. Size of memory. I am looking at a 256GB size purely on basis of cost. I have not real idea of what I should have or need.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks again Sam. How wasteful my spending could have been without yours and others input through the years here in the Cafe!

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
I second the 256GB memory choice (iPad 12.9 3rd generation, bought it 2019, still only half full). I bought also a dual port USB-C + USB-3 Flash memory stick for easy file transfer to Windows systems (printer…) and as external memory.

For drawing you could also use Vectornator (free), I use it in addition to Procreate.

Cheers

Ralf

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Ralf,

You live in a most beautiful place. I was wondering about how to move what I drew to my PC/printer. Using USB ports is a great idea. Thanks for your suggestions. You are almost ready to upgrade since you bought yours in 2019.

Regards
Roger

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
Hi Roger,

You’re right about the beauty of the Alsace, we live were other people come to for their holidays. I choose the location carefully after living 5 years in Grenoble, in the french Alps. I‘ve not regretted it after 20 years…

The iPad is not yet up for replacement, I‘m not using all those fancy features for gaming, working together online and sharing pictures and music. I do closely track any new features in my drawing apps and the iPadOS, I‘m currently running the 16 public beta. To give you an example, I used me iPhone 4 for 10 years, then most apps required a higher iOS version. It does still work as an iPod…

I bought iPads and smartphones since 2018 always on black Friday, saving regularly about 20-25%. If you could wait that long…

Cheers

Ralf

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all of the suggestions as to where to by and accessories. There are savings to be had when buying from resellers. I have also experience problems with resellers as to any warranty work with the factory. Even in the USA I've been burned with resellers but never burned when bought directly from the factory. It not so much that they are service through resellers but the hassle one has to go through to get it warrantied or service. I will probably buy direct from the Apple store the iPad. Accessories will be bought off ebay/Amazon.

Latest posts

Sponsors