introduction: Hi, I'm Caleb

calebkraft

Hey folks. Been lurking here for a few months.

I'm one of those people who bounces from skill to skill learning the basics, then moving on. Been doing it for decades now, and actually built a career on it (I'm senior editor for a magazine about making things).
A little over a year ago I wrote a short piece on Shaun Hughes and really started getting interested in engraving. Sooo, I started scratching on some pennies.
IMG_3839.jpg

I picked up a super cheap graver (andu graver, the basic non-palm control one.) and a ball vise. I figured I'd lose interest after a little bit.
I started practicing on brass blanks.
IMG_3722.jpg IMG_3723.jpg

I really enjoyed engraving and started to feel like this is something I should stick with, past the usual plateau of figuring out the basics.

I picked up a set of Lindsay sharpening templates.

I started scratching some cheapo knives.
64551134_10157382770914732_7754025254871105536_n.jpg IMG_3695.jpg IMG_3860.jpg

Then I fumbled my way through some fancier knives

IMG_3983.jpg IMG_4277.jpg

I decided to stick this out and actually get beyond just a basic understanding. I'm really enjoying it. Picked up an ipad to design with, and just this week got a microscope (wow, game changer).

Been a bit nervous to post here due to the incredible skill I see in these forums, but the time has come! Here I am, I'm learning. I'll see you around.

Current project: Long horn design on CRKT Pilar, requested by someone. Got my outlines done, currently removing background before moving to stippling, then shading. (looking forward to Sam's new video)
IMG_0110.JPG
kniveybull.jpg

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum. no need to refrain from posting, no matter what skill level. lots to learn here. go for it !

Si si

I seen your video recently on youtube before you got your stereo microscope. I really like your CRKT Pilar. It’s enjoyable to see ones progress.

calebkraft

thanks! Yeah, I've done video for years, typically for my day job but I do have a little fun on my own youtube channel every now and then. There's a big difference between putting a video in front of a million plus subscribers vs goofing around on my own little channel!

Si si

I’ve been subscribed to you for a couple years now. The kids ad I tried the fidget spinner a little over a year ago on my brothers 3D printer. Glad to see you on here cheers

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Looks like pretty nice work for just scratchin. I've got reasonable , amateur control of my tools but about 15% artistic ability. I set for days staring at a project before I can start cutting. You and most others are miles ahead of me when it comes to design.
What's your YouTube channel and magazine ? , Mark

calebkraft

thanks! It was a gift for a ballerina. They have to modify their shoes a bunch, and she's going off to an intensive summer program, so her mom bought her a custom knife.

Sponsors