inlaying gold wire

Kentscad

I've been a jeweler for 18 years, but I've never engraved on a knife. I bought one the other day from GRS. It is a Buck knife and it is stainless steel and suppose to be engraver friendly Stainless Steel. I was considering inlaying some gold in it. This is a Christmas gift for a friend so if this goes to hell I'll just get him something else. From everything I have read most people use 24ct. I know this sounds stupid but I don't get the concept of how the canal where the gold sits in is suppose to hold it in place. Does it have to be something like what an inverted cone looks like or something? I know how to engrave but I've never done anything like this. Any help would be great. Thanks Kent

jack

Inlsy

Jewelers to jeweler, you use a dovetail cut. use a small flat and then use a 90 and cut the inside cut on both sides to from the dovetail. Tap the gold in place and bring it down to the surface or just polish it smooth for a raised look. This goes fairly fast. Try the rounded corners the first time because the corners are a lot harder.:banana:Jack

Latest posts

Sponsors