Question: inlay

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can use brass for inlays, but I don't recommend it. It is just too difficult to work with: It doesn't anneal good, it work hardens, etc.,etc.
I've found that the higher cost of gold wire out and the relatively ease in inlaying it, far outweighs the frustrations with brass.
(and gold doesn't tarnish----ever)
Never tried overlaying brass and no experience with bronze, but I can't imagine it would be any more user friendly than brass---probably worse due to the tin content.

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
I have had pretty good luck with brass wire. You can pick up a big roll that will keep you inlaying for years at Ace or any other hardware store; its used for hanging picture frames. Costs less than $10.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
I did a simple inlay of brass into a set of modern medieval reproduction spurs for a friend of mine, they turned out fine, but I'm not sure if I would do it again.
I have had good luck with red bronze, or Rio Grand's Ancient Bronze. It anneals fairly well and is not too bad to work with, I defiantly like it better than the brass.
Here is some photos of the spurs, all of the inlay was straight lines, and I undercut all of the channels quite a bit to make sure that the brass would stay put. So I agree with Brian, it can be done, but I'm not sure I would recommend it, unless you just want to see if you can, then have fun..

Last edited:

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys . I guess I should give a lil more information. I'm new to hand engraving. In fact I still have not received my enset system yet. Back order issues. I'm just looking for a cost effective means to practice inlays/ overlays . No particular project in mind. For the passed 10 of so months I have been using a high speed rotary tool for ( carving) stainless steel. If you want to see what I been doing look me up on Facebook. Jared Eason custom crafted .

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Chapi, do I need to anneal the hanging wire before trying to work it ? And should I assume its rule of thumb to anneal all inlay material before working it .

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think copper is a better option than brass. There is an abundance of it that can be taken from wire, it anneals well, and is a base metal.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
...or you can try plain old lead solder wire. Soft and gummy like gold---if just for practicing.
I do agree with Peter E.----find some pure copper wire.
I'm glad Chapi is having good luck with the brass wire-I never found any that worked easily....and I had Ron Smith teaching me how to do it.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Had already gathered up some copper wire ,I know it was soft to work with. Made a few twist bracelets with copper wire long time ago. that's why I didn't ask about it. guess I should had said that before . But thank you for bringing it up. Wanted to try different density inlays . Cause I might one day want to use brass etc . Never thought about the lead soldier wire being close to gold for very cheap practice. Thank all of you for the help. And by the way golden forge. The spurs look really nice.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Take a look at the picture of the engraving ball engraved and inlaid in brass by Mitchell Lurth:

www.grstools.com. Then Click on featured photos "scroll" down to 2012 Archives click on November "scroll" to "Dress up Your Bench".

It is amazing what Mitch has done with brass.

Last edited:

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Looked at the ball vise. Very nice. I tell ya , the more beautiful engravings I see that y'all are doing. It makes it harder to wait for my tools to get here. Cannot wait to see what I can come up with.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
That is very interesting golden forge. And I bet they did not have power assisted tool to help them either.. hahaha...

Latest posts

Sponsors