Inexpensive microscope .....any good?

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I came across this stereo microscope with boom stand at a total price of about $260.

This seems a heck of a deal for a cash strapped engraver:

http://www.amazon.com/10x-30x-Mount...0KLM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1329949346&sr=8-8

and another with more working height:

http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-Binoc...5IVM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329951461&sr=8-3

Is the first one a zoom and the second one two fixed magnifications?

Does anyone have any experience of this model. It comes with a 4 inch working height, and presumably a change to a different objective lens would increase that?

Rod

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Rod: I don't believe either one of those scopes are zooms. Unless I'm overlooking something, they appear to be fixed focal length. For my work I wouldn't want one that didn't zoom.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, Sam, I figured they were no Zoom, and also true they are Amscope, DK.

I came upon them as I was looking for a heavy boom mount alone...I had borrowed one, liked it, so I am getting my own, was about to pay $210 for the boom mount, when I saw that I could get a boom mount with one of these scopes thrown in for the same price, in other words the scope would be free. I might do that and make use of the 'free scope' in other applications?

Rod

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When possible, I usually post on both this forum and on the Lindsay forum, as many others do, or read both fourms. There is a very good review of Amscope by Les Schowe, which Steve Lindsay drew to my attention, and which he wrote on the Lindsay Forum. I believe I can quote here, since it is in public domain, and with a thank you to Les and Steve L ! :

Originally Posted by leschowe
REVIEW OF THE AMSCOPE MICROSCOPE EQUIPMENT
by Les Schowe

Pre Review:
Before I start this review I would like to make one point clear: Some people like microscopes for engraving and some people do not like microscopes for engraving, and all that is just fine. We are all different people and we all have different opinions, abilities, and dis-abilities. This review is for the people who have decided that they would like to use a microscope for their engraving endevours and would like to find a lower cost solution than the Meiji/Acrobat Stand setup. I do not want this review to turn into a discussion about whether or not microscopes are useful in engraving.

The Review:
One of the problems with getting new students started into engraving is getting them past the cost of the equipment required to start an engraving career. As such, I have been researching lower cost alternatives for some of the equipment required for engraving. I have recently evaluated the Amscope microscope equipment on the internet and I have even given them several phone calls - nice people, by the way. One of my current students took my suggestion and ordered the Amscope microscope components listed below. Upon receipt of his order he brought all of the components to my studio, we assembled everything and then evaluated the total setup. I am not, and never have been, a fan of Chinese products but, I have to say, I was very impressed and excited with this microscope setup. I can't speak for their quality control (how good the next microscope might be) but this specific microscope seemed to be every bit as good (and maybe even better) as my own Meiji microscope - I was really very impressed.

Mind you, I am not an optics expert. I am not trying to evaluate this microscope for its ability to allow me to split chromosomes, I am just evaluating this equipment for engraving. A "Consumer Reports" evaluation might find some problems with this microscope relative to a Meiji microscope in the optics, but for engraving it was great, did the job, and, in my opinion, is just as good as my Meiji.

Below are the web pointers to the Amscope catalog pages for the components that I reviewed. Note that the prices for each component is at the very bottom of the web page. It looks like the total price for everything, excluding shipping, is about $700. Also Note that you can find these products on ebay and you can save a little more money by ordering there. (On their ebay adds, AmScope dose not give model numbers so you have to figure out what is what before you order. It might be a good idea, if you are going to try to order their equipment over ebay, to give them a call to verify that this is what you are looking for).

Web Pointers to the components:

Microscope: store.amscope.com/sm745b.html
Barlow Lens for Microscope: store.amscope.com/sm05.html
Microscope light ring: store.amscope.com/led-144-yk.html
Microscope Stand: store.amscope.com/bbb-fr.html

By the way, here is the AmScopes home page: www.AmScope.com

One important note here. Do not try, as I did, to order the Amscope Microscope stand for your Meiji microscope. They are not compatible, ie, they do not fit. The Meiji requires the holder ring of the focusing rack to be 3.315". The Amscope Microscope stand has a holder ring diameter of 3".

Les Schowe leschowe@comcast.net

Last edited:

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, I've had several lower priced 'scopes and I think they are great for newbies. A zoom is preferred of course, but a decent 10X works fine.
The Chinese optics are "hit or miss". Can't say they are horrible, but in my experiences,the quality can range from "so-so" to "ok"at best---your results may vary. (I'm sure there's a few very lucky lads that have fantastic optics in their Chinese scopes.)
I found a nice used Bausch & Lomb 10X stereo with heavy boom stand on Craig's list for (are you sitting down?) $50.00. So don't over look that avenue.
This is my portable "scope" that accompanies me to gun shows for demo work. I wish it was a zoom, but I can suffer through any gun show with this.

This rig with the engravers vise weighs in around 100 pounds (6 Stone for Rod)

Last edited:

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
I have an Amscope and have found it to be great to work with. The price was a great incentive too, $500 for the head, objective and focus ring delivered to Australia. I made my own stand. Ty

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have an Amscope and have found it to be great to work with. The price was a great incentive too, $500 for the head, objective and focus ring delivered to Australia. I made my own stand. Ty

I can second this, I bought this type
http://store.amscope.com/sm-4bx.html
and even with $ 275,00 shipping costs it was cheaper buying here then in Europe

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"This rig with the engravers vise weighs in around 100 pounds (6 Stone for Rod) "

Brian,

Thanks for your input. By the way I already have two good zoom microscopes, but today I did buy from Amscope a nice heavy boom stand for one the the scopes, to replace one I was borrowing... 50 lb base ..price $195 and with free delivery, plus a nice 150watt halogen Illuminator that will take my fiber optic ring light (excellent on a milling machine) price $175.

I like your portable ball vise/scope, Brian. You can bring the weight down lower by actually attaching the upright vertical, which holds the scope, directly to the bottom half of your ball vice, and assemble the scope so that it looks directly down at the revolving axis of the ball vice. It is then all one unit, always perfectly aligned, and best to use the 'positioning' model, which I see you have.

How to attach the upright column to the lower half of the ball vise? What I did, was to take the ball vise apart, then super glue the upturned lower half to the milling machine table, then mill a flat on the side of the ball and drill it for mounting the column. Take it easy on the depth of cut and it works just fine. I used that set up for a few years. Another benefit is that you can tilt the whole arrangement, if needed for more comfort.

Yes, the many uses of superglue! I also use it on my fingertips to allow longer playing sessions finger-picking on the guitar, otherwise those steel strings cut me to the bone.

Rod

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors