Illustrator Question

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Most of the info on Adobe Illustrator is centered around illustration, not line art like used in our work. For you pros out there that use Illustrator a lot I have a question. I want a background fill where there are no scrolls or leaves, just like the real thing. It’s easy if you make the scrolls etc closed objects and put them in front of the background layer. It is a pain, however, to close all of those paths so you can have an area to fill. Anyone have a trick up their sleeves to do this?

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
There isn’t a clever way to do that. If the gaps were small enough you could take your image to photoshop and do you fill work there.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
The best I’ve come up with is to make the object a compound path. That closes it up but the fill still doesn’t act right. Probably not worth the effort just to try and get a better idea of positive/negative balance.

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
The best I’ve come up with is to make the object a compound path. That closes it up but the fill still doesn’t act right. Probably not worth the effort just to try and get a better idea of positive/negative balance.
You know, illustrator has a brush tool, it kinda sucks but you might be able to use that too.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
The guys at Adobe need to talk with the guys at Autodesk. Autocad is really good at trimming and closing paths. It stinks at freehand drawing but has some good tools for handling vectors.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You link the last node to the first node to make an enclosed object.. (i think the shortcut is P, its been a while since i messed with illustrator
there are a number of ways you can intersect shapes that you have created, ie join, cut one out of the other etc.. all in the merge menu..

Sponsors