Question: Illuminated letters

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Hello folks
My girlfriend is working on lesson plans for her middle school art class. I suggested letters which has evolved into the idea of illuminated letter as in old Bibles and other texts. My question is whether the term illuminate is meaning a drawing or is the floral accents used with some letters in cyphers under the same term? I think this could be a great study for the kids and opens many avenues of interest within the lesson. All ideas and comments welcomed.
Mark

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
The 2 books I use most are the "Lindesfarne Gospels" and "The Book of Kells". The Lindesfarne is one of the earliest of the Irish Illuminated Manuscripts, and the Book of Kells one of the last, so it shows the progression, start to finish of the manuscripts. It also has great knotwork that is animal, fowl or man, and that might encourage and/or amuse the kids. And, as a bonus, it's in Latin, so they can learn another language! LOL

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys. Doc good information but not sure if we are using the correct term for the kids. I'm guessing the flourishes as seen with ciphers may very well be termed illustrated instead of illumination. I believe it could be a fun process for the kids in many ways.
Mark

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Gwaai
I believe you're correct from some of the reading. I assumed (oops) that the illustration around the letter was the illumination which is where my question arises to have the correct terminology for her class. Thanks.
Mark

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My understanding was that the entire letter (Script, gold leaf, and color illustration) was considered the "illumination". I was told the term "illuminated" referred to the letter's resemblance to a stained glass window. This explanation may be apocryphal, but what the hell, it sounds good!

Latest posts

Sponsors