Announcement: Iconic Scrolls practice plate

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
For intermediate to advanced engravers - laser engraved Iconic Scroll Styles Practice Plate.
This intermediate to advanced practice plate is the result of over 30 hours of design time, and will introduce you to some of the world’s most popular ornamental work found on weapons, knives, and other collectibles. It will provide dozens of hours of cutting and shading as you learn the intricacies and details of the various patterns and develop muscle memory in your cutting.
The mild steel 2”x4” (51mm x 102mm) plate is soft and is one of my favorite materials for engraving. The mill finish is dull and you will not experience unwanted reflections. The plates are not flawless and may contain small manufacturing marks, but these should not detract from the finished product.
The completed plate can be a nice showpiece for presentation, and my biggest hope is that your own designs will be influenced by your exposure and hours of immersion as you cut these beautiful styles.
Engraved both sides. Outline only. Users will refer to the printed reference photo for shading placement.
Designed to get you out of your comfort zone and to up your engraving game.
I have a few ready to ship.

These and other practice plates are available here:

Attachments

• iconic scroll designs-finished.jpg
    iconic scroll designs-finished.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 159
  • complete set.jpeg
    complete set.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 154
  • english-cut.jpg
    english-cut.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 155

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Great idea Sam!
It is a beautiful plate showing five engraving styles.
Although the laser marks looks very shallow they will help to guide the cuts.
Congratulations!

Reactions: Sam

alwayslearning2012

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I would love to have 2. But life has taken a turn. It's definitely on my radar.

Thanks.

P.S. You said 30 hours of design time. I'm thinking that's not including cutting time.
Question: How long do you think, Mr. Alfano, would it take you to complete this? Background removal, and shading, the whole smack?

Sam

Staff member
I would love to have 2. But life has taken a turn. It's definitely on my radar.

Thanks.

P.S. You said 30 hours of design time. I'm thinking that's not including cutting time.
Question: How long do you think, Mr. Alfano, would it take you to complete this? Background removal, and shading, the whole smack?
Yes that's just design time and prepping it for laser burning. I can't estimate cutting time w/background removal, but I can assure you it's a lot of hours if you choose to relieve the background. And that's the point of the plate...to provide many hours of practice to build muscle memory and to absorb the different styles as you go.

dhall

Mine just arrived and really looking forward to digging in to this great practice plate!

I like the light touch with the laser marking. Really crisp, clean plate, and I love it's marked on both sides. A two-fer!

Well done.

Best regards,
Doug

Sam

Staff member
Mine just arrived and really looking forward to digging in to this great practice plate!

I like the light touch with the laser marking. Really crisp, clean plate, and I love it's marked on both sides. A two-fer!

Well done.

Best regards,
Doug
Thanks for your support, Doug. Enjoy the plate. It should keep you busy for a lot of hours :)

ByrnBucks

Thank you so much Sam for all you contribute to further understanding of this fine art. Can't wait for the mailman to deliver another great practice project. Have a great week. BB

Latest posts

Sponsors