I wonder???

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I wonder if you were to embed an industrial diamond in a graver almost like the led in a pencil, if it would cut without shattering. I hear you cannot engrave carbide . But diamond will cut it . So if you had a diamond engraver in theory you then could engrave carbide.......

Thoughts anyone..

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
While I've never done it, I feel certain it would shatter. There's a difference between hardness and toughness. While a diamond is harder than carbide, it's not tough enough to make an incised line because of its brittleness. Maybe someone who knows more about this can chime in.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
It was just something that popped in my head. Thought it might make a good conversation topic. I know industrial diamonds tend to be a little tougher from what I'm told. I was working on an industrial knife sharpener that has diamonds to score the stones back true. And this is what made me think of this. Lol.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I know industrial diamonds tend to be a little tougher from what I'm told.

It's my understanding that diamonds are diamonds and that industrial diamond is simply diamond that's not gem quality.

You should also know that I'm 98% right 2% of the time. :cool:

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Lol. I'm not questioning you Sam. I know nothing about diamonds . I was just told by the tech that installed the knife sharpener years ago that they were tougher. Thanks for putting that straight for me Sam.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a toussant diamond (bright) cutter.
It doesnt reciprocate. But it does cut. Essentially does bright cuts on bracelets tho.
Pretty useless to me tho. But a great paperweight.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i use them now & then in a rotary fashion in a manual as well as a cnc engraving machine. they have points shaped in such fashion to produce the line width you want. for light surface work, they last a very long time. they all warn to gently lower the rotary tool esp in hard materials. otherwise you may end up with diamond dust !

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As a diamond setter for over 27 years, I've seen a lot of things happen with diamonds. We know diamonds are hard. They are also very tough as far as gemstones go. These qualities are what make them so suitable for jewelry. The weak point is that any point or sharp edge can easily shatter. (Usually at the most inopportune time). The diamond flywheels do cut a beautiful bright cut but they rely on speed and a very light touch. A diamond tip just couldn't hold up to the lateral forces applied when cutting scrolls.

willy

Diamond will cut soft metal like aluminum, diamond saw is grinding not cutting. Engraving with a handpiece is just like hammer and chisel, diamond will chip.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Thought this much.... but if I could just get my hands on some Kryptonite I but we could do some hard engraving then. I mean if it will take Superman down surely it can engrave in anything?

Latest posts

Sponsors