I think finally I found my dada on starting a design for engraving [Photos]

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A main problem I encountered when making a design for engraving is adding too much details and drawing too small scroll and leaves. Being a goldsmith is probably one of the reasons I do that.
Even when drawing at double size with pencil and paper, I use an optiviser to see more. Sure I don’t need an optiviser when using Illustrator, but the zoom tool makes it even worse adding too much details.
So I bought me some Chinese white and after some practicing, now it is quite easy to “paint” the metal I want to engrave. I use a HB pencil I sharpen like a needle. I may now try as hard as I can to add too much details, I can’t. Sure I use my optiviser, and perhaps I could give it a try making a design this way under the microscope.
Anyway, working this way saves a lot of time too.

The width of the ladys ring is 7 mm, the mans version is 8.3mm
After my sensor problems with my Nikon Coolpix, I now am used to the setting of the Canon Powershot. I also added a photo of my photostudio setup.
arnaud

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice clean work. And I really appreciate that you haven't packed scrolls into these designs. It allows the eye to move along and appreciate the form. I'm working on a design right now and this addresses a problem I was having. You've jogged my stuck brain a bit with these.
I see that you are cutting these while flat. How are you bending without affecting the engraving? It would have to be a very soft mallet to not scar the work.
Thanks Arnaud!
Layne

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I never thought an Adobe designer would go back to a pencil Arnaud, so I don't have to regred I never have understood Illustrator.... :)
Very nice rings and thank you for the information about your layout and photo studio.
Are these rings for Bas and Bettina??? :beatup:

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Layne, sometimes I first bend and weld the ring before starting engraving, sometimes not. If you think about it, a ring is just like a bracelet and can be bend after engraving without damaging the engraving. Just need the right tool for that. I have Teflon mallet too to put on the ring bender.

arnaud

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
great engraving & foto work as well, arnaud. i had the powershot for some time. wouldn't work well for me, so gave it to my grand son. so far, arnaud, i've given him 3 digital cameras that "don't work so well " for me. it's funny, the little bum gets them to work ok ! i refuse to buy another.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk, its amazing what this cheap cam is able to catch.

arnaud

Willem, I fixed it, thanks for pointing on that.

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like all of what you are saying here, Arnaud!

Yes, drawing on the object does keep us in the land of reality, and these bold ring designs stand out very well, nicely done!

I appears you engrave the metal on the flat, then bend and seamless weld, so can you indeed end up with an invisible weld seam, and is that best done with a laser welder? I am engraving in the round, buy, like you, in long elements that necessitate being able to revolve as I cut, and I like my own 'crude' fixture for doing this. Your flat engraved rings are very impressive when rolled and welded!

best

Rod

Last edited:

mrthe

Very nice Arnaud! And thank you to post the photo of your photostudio setup

Eugene Carkoski

Elite Cafe Member
I like the one with the smaller leaves, I think it would fit the ring better, just my opinion. The other pattern could be used for both ring or bracelet. Thanks keep showing us your work.

Caty Blom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Arnaud,
What a beautiful success you have with these rings, I also notice that I have to use in a design. Too many details tend Find them very beautiful and sleek shape, thanks for sharing and the pictures of your studio, greetings Caty.

Latest posts

Sponsors