Help, please: I need information

charlierainman

I am thinking of buying some engraving tools, I make hand made brass bells, like the old time hand bells, and would like to add some embellishment. It looks like I picked a very expensive hobby to get started in, I could get some hand gravers, and a hammer, that wouldn't be too expensive, but I work with tools in my hands all day long, I stand over a machine or workbench all day long,(I'm a machinist by trade), I want to sit on my butt, and enjoy the engraving part!
I looked at the GRS system 3, but then I read a forum about it and someone said it will do the job, but it's a lot easier to learn on better equipment. I would like to go with used, just because I won't be making my living with these tools, it will be meerly for pleasure. Any suggestions what I should look to buy? I'm not looking to engrave the Lords prayer on the head of a pin, I would be engraving bells mostly, maybe a little scribble on an old gun, so mostly brass and a little steel. Thanks, Charlie

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The System 3 is a good system that should do what you are looking for, but it won't grow with you. If you decide to start doing more or getting different hand pieces, or using palm control you will have replace the system. If you can bite the bullet a little, I think you will be happier with the GraverSmith and a QC 901 handpiece. I wouldn't worry about losing your investment. The resale on GRS equipment is very high.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
I have a graversmith with 901 hand piece (hand piece is both foot control and palm control capable) that I would sell. The system is 3 months old.
I bought it for my son and he has decided that engraving is not for him. I use the gravermach with air tack so the graversmith is Just sitting around collecting dust. If you are interested send me a private message here on the forum. The price is very reasonable.
Sandy

Sponsors