I customized my phone case.

jean-pierre

DSC_1643.JPG DSC_1646.JPG Hello everyone, I had the idea to personalize the case of my phone. I looked on the internet for interesting images and I made a montage of them. I engraved it on a metal plate (nickel silver) then cut out with a bocfil saw. Then I engraved the details and the shading. Finally, I stuck it on my phone case. I made a second one for a biker friend. What do you think? Great day.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
They look great.The engraving is wonderful and even the cutting out looks incredibly precise. I always thought nickel silver was a hard metal to cut. In the old days ( think old days and then think even older ) I couldn't cut nickel silver with normal engraving tools and hand pushing them. Looks like its accessible to work on.

Allan

jean-pierre

They look great.The engraving is wonderful and even the cutting out looks incredibly precise. I always thought nickel silver was a hard metal to cut. In the old days ( think old days and then think even older ) I couldn't cut nickel silver with normal engraving tools and hand pushing them. Looks like its accessible to work on.

Allan
Nickel silver is an alloy of copper, nickel and zinc and sometimes lead. All these metals can be cut and engraved very well, much like silver. The interesting thing about this metal is that it does not oxidize and keeps a shiny appearance like silver.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
The problem we ran into was the amount of nickel in the mix. This was in the days the Hunt Bros. ( look up Silver Thursday on Wickepedia )tried to corner the silver market and drove the market price of silver wild. Nickel was introduced into a lot of different alloy mixes. Back then the tool steel was just tool steel, and didn't stand a chance against nickel or chrome or any other shiny low cost metal to make silver more silvery. There was even a short period where hollowware manufactures used a process called nickel leveling where bowls were dipped in a nickel bath to give a smoother appearance which cut the amount of silver in an item and the amount of polishing needed. Made them uncuttable for engraving and not polishable by the local silversmiths.

Now this was 40 years ago but the memory of making a cut in nickel silver made me just engrave only pewter, silver and gold with no exceptions. And no nickel.

Allan

monk

Staff member
very cool stuff. i've done a lot of this on laptops and cell phones using my laser. i used raster or vector depending on the image chosen to be lased.

Sponsors