Help, please: I am new but I am trying

newbe2

Ok I have been practicing for about a month with different metals I have a long way to go. I have bought the graversmith and the magnum hand peace and working under a 3 1/2 to 22 power microscope. I have tried the flat and 110 and 120 graver with 15 or 20 degree heel. I am using Cmax, Hss. I am sharping on 1500 diamond lap. I am trying my hand at engraving a gun it is ss but it is wanting to chip out from underneath when I make a sharp turn or it goes to beep.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
newbe2,Way to go engraving a gun this soon, haven't you read Sam's thread on engraving gun to early. Please stop think about what your doing, we are were to help but it seems you newbes are not listening. J.J.

tim wolf

Elite Cafe Member
Hi newbe2.
i'm a newbie to and what JJ is trying to say is that you should practice on practiceplates, there are also nice gadgets for sale to engrave(moneyclips, keytags, small knives...) you can find them on the GRS website. because for sure you will ruin your gun!!!!
I practice evereday, between 2 and 5 hours a day and i'm not thinking about engraving a gun until i'm ready (and that will take a few years...:)
Timwolf

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yes to what roger bleile said. instruction from one of the best in mr. dubbers teaching facility. i'd seriously advise putting the gun up on the shelf till you get at least some decent bench time. gun engraving happens to be the most difficult type of engraving to undertake. esp true for a newbie. in practicing on your own, you'll need to learn cutting on single and compound curves. short lengths of common plumbers pipe and a couple elbow fittings will serve for that. naturally you would want to smooth the pieces out with graded grit paper. wet & dry works well for that, giving a final sanding with 800 grit. the pipe would give you an idea of barrel work, the elbow would serve for recoil shields & loading gates. send some pics of what you've done so far.

newbe2

I could not get back the system had me locked out

I have learned a lot from reading and watching the video the gun was wore out it was something I was just trying.
where I am there is not a call for hand engreving

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently wrote this comment on the other engraving forum:

I have attended many gun shows over the years and see so many guns that have been butchered by amateurs and beginners that sometimes I alternately want to cry or shout obscenities.

I read many beginners write "its my gun so if I ruin it it is not like I am ruining a customer's gun." Sooner or later that gun will end up on the market. When it does, some undiscerning fool will buy it thinking he got a steal and that it may be "factory engraved" (the holy grail to these uninformed collectors). Eventually they try to sell their butchered up mess and find that they can't give it away or they contact someone like me for evaluation and learn the bad news. At that point there is one more collector that wants nothing to do with engraved guns and will talk them down to everyone they know. So when beginners think they are doing no harm to engrave a gun before they are ready, they are eventually harming the whole trade, especially those who have labored long and hard to master gun engraving.

Latest posts

Sponsors