I’m still having fun drawing on Chinese White

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is another design I finished cutting and shading. The knife I started now has 3 different designs and ways handling the background.
On this one I removed the background by cutting straight lines. I also tried to draw a little bigger so it takes less time and still pleases the naked eyes.
These knives aren’t selling objects, just practicing on something that I can use as a present. Besides engraving jewelry and some lettering, there isn’t that much paid engraving jobs over here.

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Nice job Arnaud. Those lined backgrounds aren't easy to do and you handled it well.

Montejano

Elite Cafe Member
I like your work and I'm glad that you practice with new forms of shading.:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Willem, having fun really helps you progressing.
Brian, little gemstone and men don’t really match in my experience.
Thank you Sam, besides beading tool backgrounds, I like the lined ones best. And they aren’t that time consuming.
Thank you Antonio, the drawing technique is a bit like what you do. It has some more interaction with the object.
Thanks Steve, I’m still exploring the art of shading. So I just try different thing, even when they are not always successful.
Thanks Chujybear.

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now I am getting very curious Arnaud, since you are THE expert on Illustrator and now drawing with the " old fashion" pencil, what would you advise to beginners.
I know you can combine both but since I noticed that I find it very difficult to master Illustrator I ask myself should I put all the efforts in it or should I walk another path.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem, when starting engraving I was aware I had to engrave my own designs, stealing them was no option. I started with a GRS package with Ron Smith book, designs, practice plates and a Buck knife that had designs on it by the laser.
My first pocket knife was drawn with pencil and paper, but hen the design had to be transfered onto the knife. And for that I wanted a perfect thin line my graver could follow, resulting in a perfect engraving like it was drawn.
So transferring vectors was the best way I could think about.

This answers your question I suppose, start cutting by following a thin line. When you are ready for the next step, search a method you like and that gives you more artistic freedom.

I think a lot of us who have know how on no matter what and are willing to teach others, they sometimes forget how they started.

arnaud

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you very much Arnaud for the explanation about your way to go....
It's al about the " thin line to cut " and you explane clearly how to achieve this, it's not a question of mastering Illustrator or being an artist with pencil.
It's just your personal way to get it on the canvas to be able to cut it, am I right???
So in real it's the struggle we all experience by getting a proper design on the metal to cut.
The old say " there are many way's to Rome" is still very actual... though?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem, you are right, it isn't that much about mastering the software, my "monkey tool" showed that and several newbie like me took advantage of "my way".

One thing for sure I'm Master at is being an excellent autodidact. You can only absorb new skills when you are ready for it. Sure having a class would teach me something, but not that more or faster than teaching myself, and no matter if one is in the class or studying at home, it is you and only you who is able to teach you something. A teacher can only suport you.

arnaud

Montejano

Elite Cafe Member
Willem, you are right, it isn't that much about mastering the software, my "monkey tool" showed that and several newbie like me took advantage of "my way".

One thing for sure I'm Master at is being an excellent autodidact. You can only absorb new skills when you are ready for it. Sure having a class would teach me something, but not that more or faster than teaching myself, and no matter if one is in the class or studying at home, it is you and only you who is able to teach you something. A teacher can only suport you.

arnaud
---------------

Arnaud Friend:
I agree with your words.
I've always said that the Masters do not exist. I think every professional should transcend himself and self-taught.
Of course, the help of a professional (what we call a Master) is very helpful, to evolve faster. You have evolved in recent years.
-

Amigo Arnaud:
Yo coincido con sus palabras.

Yo siempre he dicho que los Maestros no existen . Yo pienso que cada profesional debe superarse a si mismo y de manera autodidacta.
Por supuesto , la ayuda de un profesional ( lo que llamamos un Maestro) sirve de gran ayuda , para evolucionar más rápidamente. Usted ha evolucionado en los últimos años .

Caty Blom

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the explanation, that what you write is true, how come that often forget they ever have been making something. At the beginning of the romp against people This is also in artists / painters / fashion designers / goldsmiths etc. That is precisely the power of a good teacher who can go to the base from which you can grow back. But we appreciate all the more so if we get good advice from engravers all pieces with their further development. I do not feel that I will ever be as good but would have liked to work methods accepted to be good. Greetings Caty.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Antonio and Caty,

Here is the design I drawn when recording a video on the subject.

arnaud

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors