Humble beginnings from a long time ago

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The other day we were discussing what our first pieces looked like and what humble beginnings some of us endured in learning to engrave. I said I would post a pic of my first buckle and had to get my brother to dig it out as he saved it from the scrap pile for posterity and to keep me humble. You can't buy this from him for anything even if you wanted to. His ploy is still working today!!!!

2013-10-02 11.45.01silverchips first buckle1.jpg 2013-10-02 11.44.49silverchips first buckle2.jpg

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did this soon after starting work for Gordon Hayes. The only instruction I got the was when I watched him.My job was solder and polish boy, I just was learning that too apparently!!!!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Actually... I would say that's better'n that first set of halter/bridle silver that I engraved.

You did have the advantage of being where you could at least see it bein' done. I had to guess... I hadn't found Victor Vasquez yet.

Like I said, a few years later I traded the gal sumthin' else she wanted - to get it back and melt it down.

Never signed another piece 'till around '75 or '76. (Learn something from our politicians - "plausible deniability")

Brian

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have to agree - that looks a lot better than anyone would expect for a 'first'.
I think it's a strong testimonial to the value of getting instruction (even if yours wasn't as formal as a class).

In fact, there's a lot of good advice right there in your hand, just as you always provide here on the forum.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Love those things that tell a story. I can see it isn't a perfect design, but that doesn't make it less precious to your brother in the first place of course.
And even now that you have much better skills, it would be very hard to do one similar.

arnaud

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
I can see why your brother won't let it go, thats a marker for him and for you. It may be your first buckle, but its a nice one, full of memorys I bet.

Interesting use of a copper rivet for a hook, must have worked it's still in place.

scott99

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
That is one fine looking buckle Dave. It takes me back to the days when as a welder and fabricator working in the shop we turned out stainless buckles in our spare time. That is where the want to further embellish brought on the engraving itch. Thanks for showing that and stirring fond memories.
Eric

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm still trying to find the first thing I sold so I can buy it back and destroy it.
Layne
(And that's a heck of a nice job for an early buckle by the way)

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
:thinking: Didn't someone once say that the difference between the master and the also ran is that the master finds all of his old work and destroys it? ;) :eek:

Oh, well. if someone didn't say that, they should have!;)