Help, please: How to use a turntable with a self centering vise

I built a turntable from material that I had laying around in the shop.

It's 10" in diameter, 3/4" thick, made of steel. Heavy. It turns on a flange bearing. It will free spin for quite a while.

Now, to my question.

If I use the self centering vise, what keeps the vise on the turntable? Just the weight?

I understand the inertia from the handpiece will be pretty small. I'm looking at a pretty small vise, is the weight of the Grizzly self-centering vise something that I should consider or will a 2" self-centering vise be sufficient?

The 2" vise weighs 7-3/4 lbs, the Grizzly H7576 weighs 21 pounds.

The capacity on the small vise is 2 x 2.

The capacity on the Grizzly is 4 x 4.

Cost is not a consideration, they are pretty close.

Thanks!

:tiphat:

Matt

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
if i'm following you correctly, you want to be able to shift the vise around on the turntable to change the center of rotation for working under a microscope, but don't want the vise moving around while you're actually engraving?

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
Most of the larger ball vises should stay put. I think the GRS magna vise is around 30 lbs or so. I'm sure someone on here will help if I'm correct.
Gary

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
I use a GRS positioning vise on a turntable. You just put the entire vise system on the turntable. Lock the vise so that it won't rotate at it's pivot point and all rotation comes from the turntable. The vise stays put nicely by itself. I even have a teflon pad under it to make it easier to move when needed. Center your turntable under the scope and then any position you move the vice to stays centered in the rotation of the view. I hope that's what you were looking for.

Yep, that's pretty close.

There is no swivel on the vise, I'm just doing practice plates at the moment. No scope yet either. I just need a better way to start getting some scrolls going.

The turntable will help with that.

Thanks UncleJim!

Matt

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
What stops your vice from moving, is your left hand (provided you're right handed, of course).
Your left hand rotates the vice, whilst your right hand holds the graver.
Turntables don't really come into play until you start using a miscroscope.

(Apologies if i haven't understood your question completely.)

Jo

What stops your vice from moving, is your left hand (provided you're right handed, of course).
Your left hand rotates the vice, whilst your right hand holds the graver.
Turntables don't really come into play until you start using a miscroscope.

(Apologies if i haven't understood your question completely.)

Jo

Hi Jo,

No, I think you understood perfectly. I don't have a scope. I'm not into this deeply enough to justify one yet.

It's probably a good thing the turntable was cheap to build. It will be ready for when I need one.

I'm missing a connection somewhere. But I'll fill in the gap soon, I have a basic class coming up in early June.

Right now, I'm so new at this I can't ask the right questions. But that will be a temporary problem.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Regards,

Matt

Latest posts

Sponsors