How to remove engraving?

edwardschlacter11

Well i just got back form a gymnastics tournament and they spelled my name wrong on my medal they are going to give me another but i really wanna wear mine to school so i was wondering how you get engraving off a medal or any ideas of how to hide it

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Do you have a photo of it?

It normally requires filing off the engraving, refinishing the metal, and then re-engraving. This is assuming it's on a raised portion that can be filed off. Often it's easier to just replace the article as opposed to going to a lot of trouble trying to repair it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not trying to be negative here, but you'll likely find your medal has a nice gold "looking" or maybe a bronze appearing finish. i use the word finish carefully, as most such items look good on the surface, but ugg ! the basemetal these are usually made of will show an undesirable contrast. if the engraving is cut into the surface, filing it down will usually result in a gunky ghost like dull gray color that may have pits below the surface. most such items are mass produced with regard only to the surface appearance, and not to what lies beneath it.

Latest posts

Sponsors