Question: How to progress.

Bob West

Practical progression.
Several treads in this forum talk about how individuals were not ready to progress from one stage of engraving to another which begs the question, how do you know you are ready for the next step?
If you were to sit down with an individual who was just starting out in engraving what advice would you give them in regards to the best path to produce engravings they could be proud to claim they did?
Of course you would tell them to get the best training they could afford, given their personal circumstances, but beyond that what map to success would you lay out for them?
Bob

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
This is a great question by the way....

Draw more after reading Advanced Drawing of Scrolls and watching Sams scroll video and Marcus's new video.
Practice Lettering till it's second nature. I've had very few projects that didn't need some lettering.
Buy the right equipment in the right order. (Save and buy right meaning very good quality the first time)

Donny

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bob, Do you know how to draw? If you don't take drawing class's, it will pay off, I was an artist before I started to study the art of engraving. Get with an engraver Brian gave you some good advice. J.J.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Everyone here is going to give you different answers. You need to learn it all. So what is the correct order or process? There's not one.

You need to learn to sharpen gravers, transfer layouts, engrave, fix errors and finish pieces This is best learned from an experienced engraver. It can be a local one or an organized class.

You need designs to engrave. The older generation will tell you to learn to draw with paper and pencil (good idea). The younger generation will tell you that you can learn to draw on the computer (to me easier than pencil). Others just engrave from copyright free pattern books. It's your choice.

What do you need to do first? It's totally up to you. Make it fun and interesting for you. It is the only way you will keep at it.

Gerry

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
The best investment I have made in my entire life was the money I spent to take a beginning engraving class.

Stewart

Latest posts

Sponsors