Question: How to prevent copper plate from oxidizing?

Engraver10

It might come under another brand name.. museums use it for long term preservation without compromising the integrity of other finishes, patina ets..
look for something that is microcrystalline wax.. it is in a solution with some kind of solvent. Smells like petrol.. but probably naphtha
This wax looks great, but because it possibly contains solvents, I believe it will remove the transferred design from the plate, as I use Dammar varnish and laser printed.

Thanks
Best Regards

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
That pen you mentioned, is it the one used as a permanent marker? Your suggestion sounds cool, especially because the use of alcohol helps to dry the surface and degrease it. Thanks
the ones i use are "sharpie" brand. they are advertized as being permanent. they are about 20mm in dia., about 400 mm long. these have a very wide tip, maybe 7mm x 3 or 4 mm

Engraver10

the ones i use are "sharpie" brand. they are advertized as being permanent. they are about 20mm in dia., about 400 mm long. these have a very wide tip, maybe 7mm x 3 or 4 mm
I'll buy one for testing, thank you very much

Engraver10

O papel manteiga é usado para assar biscoitos e pães. O silício confere-lhe uma superfície antiaderente. É colocado sob os biscoitos antes de levá-los ao forno. Depois de assados, os biscoitos deslizam de forma limpa.

Você pode encontrá-lo em lojas de alimentos que vendem suprimentos para panificação. Ele vem de duas maneiras, em rolo e em folhas planas. Pegue as folhas planas. Os rolos não ficarão planos e você terá uma ondulação no pergaminho depois de cortá-lo. Essa onda causará problemas. Comprei primeiro um rolo e tive que trabalhar com ele para que ficasse plano antes de prendê-lo com fita adesiva.
I'm thinking about buying a monochrome laser printer for this purpose, I'm just waiting to save some $$$$$

Engraver10

My suggestion for you is do not bother with the idea of a clean plate,

Engraving is not etching,

A plate oxidizing is your friend once you need to cover your error or tracking changes, or even help to better brush away coppers from the edge.

A clean plate does give you a good advantage in keeping the engraver on the plate, but it can be easily solved by just sharpening your burin head.

Plus, a well-polished clean surface will deflect lights and make your judgment on the line harder.

If you want to preserve a plate, good old melted bee wax is your friend, otherwise don't bother with it.
Thanks for the tip, but my big problem today is the fact that I burn very slowly, so my project transferred by dammar varnish to the copper plate starts to oxidize along with the plate, making it difficult to see. That's why I'm looking for a way to keep the board free from oxidation for as long as possible.

Thanks

Sponsors