Question: How to hold a cup

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm going to be in engraving a cup for a friend of mine, what would I use to hold the cup so I can work on it I have a grs Magna block.

Thanks

Carlos De La O III

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Use a small wood clamp. Trace the opening at the top on a piece of 3/8 plywood and cut it out undersize so it will fit inside. attach that to a larger circle of plywood,then cut one more circle and tack it to the bottom of the cup with a spot of hot glue,now put the cup in the clamp and grab that in your vice. That is about as simple of a method as I can explain without a picture.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
depending on size , type of design, etc sandbags can work. or clamp a flat wood slab in the vise and use a batch of plasticene covered with cloth. your cup can be slowly pressed into the clay making a good snug fit. sounds crazy, but i've used balled up wads of aluminum foil to allow freaky shapes to be held. sufficient foil allows odd shapes to dig into the foil. some use leather pads, even thick lead sheet cut to fit the vice jaws. look at some of barry lee hands' posts. he uses the lead sheet for some of his work. there's likely a hundred more ways to achieve this.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, engraving round items is a lot different than flat items. Do you have something to practice on before you cut the real thing?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, engraving round items is a lot different than flat items. Do you have something to practice on before you cut the real thing?

This is my practice piece. . Its an old, very old coffee cup. .. was told if it does not turn it right to throw it away

Carlos De La O III

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
no, no, no never throw away any work you do. if nothing else, you can refer to the piece later on to see the progress you made over time

Latest posts

Sponsors