How Sam Alfano got his name

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Once upon a time there was a poor orphan boy who lived in the streets of N’awlins. Naw’lins was a big city along the Mississippi River where gamblers, traders, and many of the rich and famous came to visit. The poor orphan boy grew up shining shoes and running errands to get enough food to assuage his empty stomach. No one knew his last name so he just went by the name of Sam. One day, after shining a fancy dandy’s alligator shoes, the dandy gave Sam a double tip. One was a shiny new nickel and one was a shined old nickel that had some strange carving on it that the dandy called a hobo nickel. It was actually a picture of a shoe being shined instead of the normal buffalo or Jefferson head. Sam was especially intrigued by it and found out from talking to some of his friends that hobos carved these and sold them sometime for as much as 50 cents. He decided he had to try it so with some old nails he pulled from a whiskey crate and using piece for broken glass from a Russian vodka bottle he was able to start scratching out his own nickels. He did nickels with N’awlins street signs on them like Bourbon Steet or Canal Street , some with bottles of whiskey or beer labels on them, and as he got better he even tried peoples faces like some of the women who hung around the French Quarter who smiled at him and often petted him on the head as he went by. When people would pay him for their newly shined shoes, he would pull out his lastest nickel and offer to sell it to them for the remaining change in their hand. Soon people began asking orphan Sam if he had any nickels to sell. One day a big tall man in a charcoal gray wool suit walked up to Sam and asked to see some nickels . Sam had just finished one showing Marie LaVeau the Vodoo Queen and was really proud of her. The Man said he was from a place called New Orleans Arms and would Sam like to have a real job? Sam was scared but said yes anyway. The man took him away to a street far away from his usual haunts and set him down at real bench with real gravers and a for real microscope like in the movies. The man told Sam he would get to work on fancy guns and knives as well as expensive coins.

Sam was very happy but things were not so well in the office where the man’s secretary was trying to get Sam officially on the payroll. The secretary asked the man what the new employee’s name was. He quickly said “It’s Samâ€. The secretary said “Well, what is his last name?â€. The man said “HellifIknow†in the N’awlins drawl. “What? “ she said. “HellifIknow†he said again. “What are you saying†she asked again? Enuciating loudly he said. “ AL“ “iF†“I†“Noâ€. So she wrote down Alfano and the rest is history .

below is a mongrammed mag-lite that I did for Sam to commerate this event.

Attachments

• magLfano.jpg
    magLfano.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 432

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow Scott,

Did a new batch of white lightnin come out or what?
What a neat story. It is so cool to really get to know the people behind the names on the forum!
Thanks for sharing,

Weldon

Andrew Biggs

Thank goodness he didn't say "buggeredifIknow"..................the world of engraving would never be the same and Abigail would have probabley kept her maiden name !!!!! :D

Cheers
Andrew

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a most interesting and amusing story Scott!

Thanks for posting it.

Peter

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Good one, Scott! Thanks for researching our family name! Very funny story.

I'm in Kansas and will be home tomorrow. I'm anxious to see the Maglite! I heard I had a package from you and I can't wait to see it.

Regards / Sam Helifiknow

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glad you liked it. It was inspired from the finished engraving.

Actually here are another two Mag-lites I did at the same time. Maglites are a great engraving stress reliever after a big project like the Barbarella knife.

Attachments

• magliteLfano3w.jpg
    magliteLfano3w.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 390

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey abigail, you know it's illegal to marry an orphan ! better see a lawyer. now i know how he got his head so shiney-- catspaw
clear #4 shoe polish.

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
It must be during the breaks to rest the eyes, shoulders, and hands that the basic goofy part of a hand engraver's personality develops. AND, are a there more than usual number of men with thinning(!) hair in our corps?

mrthe

reviving these old posts,it gives us a chance, new or not so very old members of the forum, to know old myths and far legends ....hehehe , Thanks!

Sponsors