Question: How do you organize your designs and other artistic productions?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is probably over 30 years when I started making designs. Mostly jewellery designs.
At first, I kept them save in organised maps, but after a while I just stored them in maps.
I also bought some sketch books, that way the designs are organised chronicle.

But after all these years, I made that much designs, I hardly can find a particular one when I need one, I even don’t know where to look for or if I already made that particular design.

At first, I thought it would be great stuff after I’m gone, that those designs would be a treasure.
Now I’m thinking that it is too much information for those who come after me. I also found out that we only can live our own live, looking at photos we made some decades in the past. Perhaps once in a year we look at photos our grandparents and parents made.

Yes one could be lucky, only having a few hundreds photos illustrating one’s history. But my “artistic†family not only made thousands photos, they also made sketches, paintings and sculptures. They had a diary book every year whit illustrations and so on. They just illustrated their own history.
My problem is that I even can’t read my own history being so productive by storing it and still storing more by making designs, making some cuts, making thousands jewellery, writing down diary’s, and so on.
I also kept all the designs my 5 children made when they where kids.

So for some years, I don’t store all of my designs anymore, as to me it makes no sense. Yes if I would be famous perhaps it would have more value to others, but I’m only a bit famous.

So what I did is, I used a scanner and stored the designs I liked the most. I have some Hard Disk’s to store all of that as a backup.

But I’m interested to know how all of you have organised the designs and photos you made.

Arnaud

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Organize"? What is this strange term you use, Arnaud? Perhaps you've made a mistake in translation, because I know of no such word that makes any sense in the context of my work... :rolleyes:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I went through a shop fire in the 90's that destroyed most of my photos, negatives and drawings to that point.

No way to really explain how that feels...

Since then, I've just never gotten serious about it again.

I think about it a lot here of late, but then I remember that fire... and it kinda takes the enthusiasm right outta me.

Brian

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"not recognize the word "organize", must be a joke I suppose.
here is what it means as far as I can find out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizing

Sure I must admit that I'm a sort of ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) one. Anyway it is not a problem for me and my car is always clean and organized, so are my tools. All the other stuff my wife takes care of and I have no idea.

arnaud

Lane

I copy others work, so no need to keep designs of my own. I keep others work on computer, edit with photoshop and other programs. :beatup:

Lane

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I went through a shop fire in the 90's that destroyed most of my photos, negatives and drawings to that point.

No way to really explain how that feels...

I lost over 5000 digital photos when an external hard drive failed. I bet that feeling comes pretty close to how it feels. :shock:

I built a NAS with four 1TB drives in a RAID 6 configuration after that so it will never happen again. It's sort of how I bought a nice gun safe after I had four pistols stolen. :eek:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnuad,

I think you mean OCD (obsessive, compulsive disorder) rather than ADHD. People with ADHD have trouble concentrating on one task, while OCD people have dificulty leaving any task unfinished or giving up on a task. Most of we engravers are probably a little to a lot OCD! (OCD people also have a tendancy to collect things!)

sandmanbrian

I store designs based on a Alpha and Subject system. The drawing is filed according to subject and then as the number grows a separate file is used and Headed in bold face marker. For now I have 2 legal sized File cabinents filoed with background research, clippings from magazines, books, catalogs and phamplets dating from the 1880's onwards. It is subjective also because only the designs that I like are placed in the files. Sketchbooks are diassembled and placed in the proper file heading. The antique badge catalogs remain intact and the images I need are photocopied & scanned for future use. Additionaly I contacted European Craft Guilds and request any obsolete material they have. Some of the antique badges i have are either drawn or enlarged on a color Copier and the designed traced for futher use.

It is a continuous process which requires a method and indexing system customized to your own needs

Brian ...........................................

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Year-month-date-describer. For each illustration..
A digital file is then logged for each work with a thumbnail , and a code for where the original is stored.
The date order insures that all the files are chronological, the describer ensures that is easy to search by subject, or theme.
At least that's the theory.
Don't ask me about the practice

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
archive_3.jpg archive_2.jpg archive_1.jpg

I've never been terribly organized, but I do try to keep all of my engraving archives and artwork in one place. The cigar box contains dozens of drawings and smoke pulls done over the last 30+ years.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Seems most of you do better than I do, except those who don’t know what organize means. :biggrin:
Sam’ photo’s illustrates the idea of organizing like I meant very well. But I suppose these are only recent designs and perhaps a bit more; Sure can't be all of it.
As I have over a 200 kilo of designs that probably means I have to burn most of them. Can’t organize all of that anymore, yes my solution was to have them on a hard disk, easy to find and no dust from it.

But please continue showing how you organize, it is interesting.

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
archive_4.jpg

This is the part I didn't show you. I still have a few hundred photos and other things piled up that need to be sorted out. :confused:

Latest posts

Sponsors