yakob

Hi

I am in trouble to draw and engrave sky / cloud

Could you please give me some advice.

Thanks

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
yakob,When I was a painter I meet Eric Sloane painter and author illustrator of books on early American Life and he gave a book that he wrote and illustrated for artist, Skies and the Artist how to draw clouds and sunsets.You can find it on Amazon,as for engraving skys and clouds I use the bulino dot technique. J.J.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Clouds are nothing more than light and shadow on rounded shapes, so treat them as such. Most times for engraving clouds, they are rendered as "hints," rather than actual objects,

Bill

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Yakob,

Yes to what both Sam and Bill said. Do yourself a favor and don't try to engrave clouds . As suggested just do some light and dark areas to suggest clouds. If you try to get too dramatic with them you will regret trying it.

Chris

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm not sure how much I can share here concerning the book engraving historic firearms by John shippers but on page 386 he touches base and how to engrave clouds

Carlos De La O III

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Yakob, here is an example of clouds that I have done. Trying to add more detail than this can get out of hand quickly. And I assure you being a meteorologist will not help.

Attachments

• Cloud example.jpg
    Cloud example.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 236

SamW

Yes J.J., several times I might add. Each time I polished off and redid the clouds with less and less, finally deciding to quit while I was ahead. Eric Gold calls the bulino dot method "stick and pick" and that is just what I have come around to. I use one of John Barroclough's small round carbalt tool bits set in square brass and I hold it in a pin vise. The tool is sharpened to a fine point like a needle but not quite so fine in taper. I hold it like a pencil and "stick and pick". Seems much easier for me to control than trying to make dots with a V shaped graver.

SamW

Also...in this day of digital cameras one should take lots of photos of interesting cloud formations and background scenery. After all, the film is dirt cheap!! A good library of photos will give you inspiration and help make it look real.

SamW

You are welcome mrthe. To be specific, the clouds were done with the "stick and pick"(S&P), the acacia leaves/limbs were done with a single point tool in a pneumatic hammer and cleaned up with S&P(this made them form quickly), the trunk of the tree with lines and refined with S&P, the elephant with some lines but mostly S&P, the tusks are platinum inlay with just a touch of S&P. S&P...being right handed I hold the pin vise slightly tilted to the right, push or stick the point into the steel and pick or flick it out to the left. It is a gentle flick but you can feel the tool entering the steel and feel and hear a slight pick as it comes out. The feel and sound lets you know if the point is still sharp and working properly. Not like regular stipple dots where you just enter and exit the steel at the same angle. For really dark effect you can push in harder and pick out harder making larger and deeper dots. Worth a try if you haven't done it this way yet.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I might just add to the discussion that selecting "clouds" on Google Images will give you hundreds of cloud photos under all conditions, so you can immerse yourself in 'rolls and folds of angel hair', as you prepare your sketches.

Rod

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just an idea use camera lucida for iphone. If your on android use artist eye free. It will help you trace your image. ..now the dark areas you traced are the areas around the cloud those would be the areas that you would work with on your piece in your own technique.

Here is an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-15H8ICC854&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here's a quick example of your picture I cannot draw to save my life but if you have some skills is might help.. Did this in five minutes with the app I'm telling you about

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is just a simple warning I used to give some students that I gave informal drawing lessons to. Never, and I mean NEVER OUTLINE A CLOUD with a definitive line. Suggest the demarcation of the cloud with either dots or short dashes. Differentiate the cloud from the background sky by making the sky a series of very fine parallel lines or make the shadows of the clouds with the dots and dashes. Anytime you outline a cloud with a single line it becomes a cartoon balloon. Take a $5.00 or a $20.00 bill and study the clouds on the back with a microscope or a good set of loupes and you will get the idea. There are wonderful examples on the internet. Just Google Image Victorian Engravings or Wood Engraving (Not wood block prints, but Wood Engraving)

Latest posts

Sponsors