How Did You Start?

TxZone

Hello Everyone
I am new to the forum and just as as new to engraving. I have been sitting on the sidelines for quite a while deciding on the best way forward in terms of equipment and areas of engraving.
So I would be very interested to learn how many of you have made it into engraving via a self-taught route? How did you make a start and what areas do you work in? It would be invaluable to me to hear your stories and hopefully it will inspire me to better things. Thanks.
Paul

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paul,
I started out doing leather work in the 60s and 70s-self taught-Moved on to silver work-also self taught -did traditional First Nation work with stamping and stones and more modern type work and thought engraving would be a good skill to enhance my jewelry work-In the early 80's at the age of thirtyfour, I decided that I would like to teach woodworking (cabinetmaker by trade) and started college. took a few art classes and design classes. I also bought my gravmiester and sharpening hone. I owned a bar during this same period and would do silverwork and tried to teach myself to engrave when things were slow or my wife had time to mind the biz. The Dakota Reb was a biker bar and didnt get a lot of what could be called street trade but a biker wanna be who also happened to do hammer chisel gun engraving used to stop by with advise and to hang out-Thought it was cool to hang with a Outlaw.He did guns and a few bike parts-not much call for that type of work in those days. Most guys built thier own bikes and a paint job was pretty much the finishing touch-not a lot of trick after market parts at the time-I learned basic sharpening from him-His wife ran off and one day he came in and saw her with another guy-went back out to his truck and got his custom engraved, gold inlayed Python and came back in-just looked at her and put a bullet through his brain pan-stopped engraving for a few years after that-got busy with a masters and a PhD-taught had a kid settle a little-Went back to being self taught engraving about 6 years ago-tried to talk with the local big time engraver here in town but he was not doing any kind of instrution and about the exent of advise was take classes-have gained alot from a few engravers I have coresponded with and of course the forums-Fred

Last edited:

TxZone

Wow Fred... that sounds like a script straight from the movies. Who's going to play you when they make the film? Sounds like you have had a very colourful life so far! So it is definately do-able then, going the self taught route? Much appreciate you sharing your story with me.
Paul

catnip

somone like Billy bob Thornton maybe. what a script.. But the mans' right, Ive done a lot of things in my life since jackin' in my apprenticeship in 69. But the skill you have developed, no matter how minimal, will always be with you and that feeling you get, when cutting into metal can not be explained, maybe someone can, I don't know. I believe, it's not so much as keep practicing, but to keep at something you love doing. I should have kept to it long ago. but such is life. Tony

TxZone

I think you are right Tony, it's more important to find something you love doing and stick with it. I hope to do that myself, that's what I'm looking for with engraving. Billy Bob Thornton would be very cool by the way!!!
Paul

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi txzone,

I am totally self taught (long hard road). I used only the basic hand tools, hammer and chisel and palm tool up until just a few years ago. When I lost my thumb and began to teach, I was more or less forced to use the pneumatic tools. I still love the old tools the best, and it pains me a bit not to be able to push a graver well any more. I can engrave about any way that you can concieve. I am a bit unorthodox in my handling of my tools, but I didn't know what I was doing, so I use the "Asian" style of engraving. I can do it the conventional way also however after I found out that I was doing it wrong. I rather prefer doing it "my way". It seems more flexible to me.

I started my first job after the military tour 1962, learning the jewelry trade, but found out right away that I would be an engraver. It is kind of a long story, so won't go into all of that , but you can teach yourself for sure. I think however, it is best if you get over the starting process quickly and get off in the right direction. Sharpening by hand is a hit or miss proposition until you get it down, and you will get on your way quickly with proper sharpening equipment. It took me years to get consistant with hand sharpening.

Although I didn't have any formal training I realize through my modern experiences that it would have saved a lot of heart ache, although I would not have been able to have taken advantage of any classes, as I did this as an occupation and had a tiger by the tail. Liz and I were scraping by, and we didn't have much money to spare.

I did get an opportunity to go to Corpus and take advantage of Rene' Del Core's (sp)offer to study with him, but like I said, I had a tiger by the tail and couldn't turn loose. I was running my own engraving business and if my hands weren't busy, I wasn't making money, so couldn't take advantage of the offer.

If you are doing a related type of work, it will work right into and add on to your creative skills. If you have a lot of creativity in you it has to come out, and I think engraving is one of the most gratifying means of expression one can pursue. I like the connection of blade and steel without any other assistance and if that is what you like, I would highly reccommend it, but using modern methods is much quicker to learn.

I added everything related to metal fabrication of jewelry, knives, guns, buckles, custom jewelry, and I do scrimshaw, portraits in metal, and all of the phases of engraving to include print making, jewelry engraving and monogramming, lettering, ornamental work, firearms engraving, multi-colored metal inlay, sculpting, and all kinds of diamond setting.

When running an engraving business, you cannot afford to turn any thing down, and it is pretty essential to be very diverse to get enough work. I can do refinishing of plated items, engraving removal and restoration. rust bluing and gun related skills. I make my own muzzle loaders, my last one a swivel breach, and some high end folding knives with unique locking mechanisms. I can solder and braze good and weld a little.

There isn't much I cannot fabricate myself from learning the jewelry making trade. It has been a good ride, and I would encourage anyone interested to get involved.

I have written two books and some pamplets on designing of scrolls and some techniques, etc. and am in the process of writing another.

You can engrave an awful lot of things just with a hammer and chisel, depending on what your interest are, but I bet you will want to move to other things as you acquire skill with one tool. The palm tool is designed for fine work and lettering.

If you want to do just hammer and chisel work, you will need a stable vise and there is a lot of information on this forum to help decide what to get in the "tips" section. If you want to do lettering and monogrammng and jewelry type work you will need an engravers vise.

You can do a lot of certain kinds of work on a sand bag, but that would come after you gain skill with your tools.

So...........come on in, the water's fine.

Welcome to the forum.

Ron S

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
First:

I have written two books and some pamplets on designing of scrolls and some techniques, etc. and am in the process of writing another.

Glad to hear that Ron! Looking forward to checking it out in the fullness of time.

Now then.

Basically I'm a lucky idiot. :)

The ever-indulgent wife let me make our 2005 vacation a trip to BLADE in Atlanta. I spent some time looking at the GRS booth, and admiring all the fine knives.

Over the next year or so I kept noticing the engraving work in BLADE and other magazines more and more.

In 2007 we were going to both the NRA Annual Meeting and BLADE :D
I discussed with the ever-indulgent the idea of checking out the equipment and, if not too expensive getting some. Turned out GRS was at NRA so I started looking there and got catalogs. As soon as BLADE opened we marched right in and... went and got a toy I just missed getting in 2005. Then we went to the GRS booth and started talking. Wound up with a pretty complete start up set (no scope). After that I spent a little time during the show trying the gear out to see if I could actually use it (I told you I'm lucky).

Perhaps the best souvenier I brought back from BLADE 2007 was the repeated advice to go to igraver.com. This forum helped me get up and going and - once again being lucky, a Basic class with Marty Rabeno (Fancygun) opened up in September and the ever-indulgent said I could go. Got my scope last summer and managed to score a Lindsay system the same week (once again, I told you I'm lucky).

Only problem I have is that the nice jobs we have take up so much of my time I don't get near enough bench time. But then again, they pay for all of these wonderous toys so I'll 'suffer' along.

Oh, and as it turned out, I do seem to be able to engrave, even if I do need a lot more practice. ;)

Like Ron said, sometimes there's just something inside that has to come out.

TxZone

Thanks for adding your stories guys.
Ron... that's some list of skills you have there. I would settle for a quarter of that! Most interesting though.

Steve... It sounds like your luckiest break was marrying the ever-indulgent. Smart move!

Thanks a lot guys for taking the time to answer.
Paul

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paul

You got that right!

Let me use this opportunity to pass along my one bit of Marital advise:
Back rubs

I'm a natural early riser. She is not. I get up about an hour and half before she does so when her alarm goes off I'm there to give her a back rub to get her day started.

TxZone

Paul

You got that right!

Let me use this opportunity to pass along my one bit of Marital advise:
Back rubs

I'm a natural early riser. She is not. I get up about an hour and half before she does so when her alarm goes off I'm there to give her a back rub to get her day started.

There's no hope then for me, as it's the other way around for us as far as early rising is concerned. I'll try and convince her to give me a back rub in the morning though!!

Paul

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That does present a problem for you, doesn't it?

I suggest learning to make jewelery she likes and then practicing a lot.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have been a bench jeweler, full time, since 1987 when I graduated from GIA as a Graduate Gemologist. I took a few repair and setting courses while I was at GIA, and, combined with my previous three years of making and marketing Sterling and quartz crystal jewelry, was able to land a job as a bench jeweler that paid .25 over minimum wage.
Spent most of my free (hah hah) bench time push engraving, not producing much of note or worth. In 2004, I went to GRS and took a basic engraving course from Sam, and bought a Gravermax, used, a used powerhone and a good quality, but less expensive, stereo microscope. It cost about $3000 for all the tools, and $2000 for the course, including airfare and Motel with meals in Emporia, from Spokane. Took another course this last year, in Western Engraving, from Diane Scalese.
In the last four years, I have produced, for stock , over 50 pieces in the store I work at. I have made 2 dozen custom pieces, for more money, and have anther 50 pieces made and on consignment, and/or sold at a jewelry/art store in Oregon. I used engraving a pistol and long gun to pay for the western style course.
It is obvious to me that paying for the instuction shaved a decade or two off of my learning curve. To be taught the right and easiest way to do things, with the best result, at such a small cost, is the best educational bargain I have ever encountered.
If you are serious about becoming an engraver, and I still engrave at home for 1 day a week as practice,plus whatever engraving is required at work, then taking a course and getting good equipment is not only a smart idea, it's the only one.
I have the utmost in respect for Ron and other push engravers, but save yourself the carpal tunnel, blisters and stabbed fingers, and learn the easier way to do quality engraving, and take a course, buy the tools and see the reults.
Will

TxZone

Will
Thanks for replying. It seems a common theme that a lot of people report that taking a course is a great boost to learning the art. While it does appear to be perfectly feasible to self-teach engraving, and some have already stated they have done just that, taking a course has many benefits. The big downside of course, is the cost. While you suggest it is a good investment, and I do agree, it gets a little grey when you only have limited resources and the cost of the course is going to eat a big chunk of your money.
I can see a lot more sleepless nights are required before I take the plunge. Thanks for the thoughts though.
Paul

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
TxZone, There are many skills you can work on even before picking up any graver for the first time. Whether you eventually go the do it yourself route (which won't be all alone because we are here to help), or the course route you will still need one special skill to move ahead - layout and design. This skill is often overlooked and can be accomplished with a pencil and paper. Ron Smith has 2 books out that are like the bible for design. The first has a wealth of knowledge and isn't expensive, the second is updated with even more good stuff and is a bit more. Either way, the time spent drawing scrolls - or whatever you like (dragons, lettering, animals, etc.) will help your skill. Not only will it help with the layout later, but it will help with the hand/eye coordination you will need as your engraving progresses. The design itself can't be underestimated.

An excellent design cut poorly is usually superior to a poorly planned design cut with expert precision.

TxZone

Thanks Tira... I was just looking at your website the other day, really nice work. Thank you for your advice, I do agree with you. I have worked as a graphic designer so I should be able to use that knowledge. Where can I buy the Ron Smith books to ship to the UK? Thanks.
Paul

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron Smith hangs out in the forum quite a bit. You may want to PM him and see if he sells the book directly and would be willing to ship overseas.

If you want to order it from GRS you can call 1-800-835-3519 during business hours 8-5 central standard time - in the US. A better way would probably be to e-mail them and ask your question about international shipping. I know they do ship overseas and may even have a distributor in Europe. The e-mail for questions would be grs@grstools.com.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, you can check out our "Buy & Sell" section. There is a fair amount of equipment that comes up there. From time to time stuff comes up on eBay as well.

Welcome to the cafe!