How clear are your transfers?

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I ordered the TW designs transfer kit with samples of the white and clear bottles.

What im wondering is how clear the transfers should be?

Also i cant seem to get a transfer using the white without it peeling some of the white off.

These 2 designs were included in the kit so i imagine the propper printer and ink/settings were used.

In the past ive had great results with acetone transfers so that always a backup but these being clear is a nice feature. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220819-102608.jpg
    Screenshot_20220819-102608.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20220912-031041__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220912-031041__01.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 52

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
If it peeling you are putting it on too thick and could be using too much pressure. I use Prismacolor markers 40% gray. They can be purchased at most craft and art supply stores. I don't know what is in these items but the marker works the same way as the white transfer magic and the marker costs about 5 to 6 dollars.. Also, Tira Mitchell sells Prismacolor markers on Engraver.com About Us (engraver.com). Check it out.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
White Dykem also works for transfers. I also use transfer magic and the prisimacolor markers as already suggested. All work great.

1-Clean and remove any residue on the work piece. Denatured Alcohol, Acetone, etc.
2-I use q-tips to apply transfer material to work piece. The amount is not thin but it's not thick either.

Applying the transfer too soon after application can cause problems as well. I have not found any problems with applying the transfer when using transfer magic or white dykem after a long drying time (in excess of 5 minutes and longer).

I also use a fixative so that I do not wipe out my transfer as I cut the design. Various hair sprays, quick drying clear matte finishes and artist fixatives all work.

Lighting is crucial in being able to see the transfer especially under a scope. Side lighting seems to work best for me rather than 90deg to work piece lighting and not super bright. I have a light inside my scope through the lens that emits a green tint. This also is advantageous to improve contrast.

"Experience will improve your transfer greatly."

papart1

Mr. Green, what style of white Dykem do you use please?

Mike576

If it peeling you are putting it on too thick and could be using too much pressure. I use Prismacolor markers 40% gray. They can be purchased at most craft and art supply stores. I don't know what is in these items but the marker works the same way as the white transfer magic and the marker costs about 5 to 6 dollars.. Also, Tira Mitchell sells Prismacolor markers on Engraver.com About Us (engraver.com). Check it out.
Ill try less pressure that may be it. I dont think i could get it thinner. I use a qtip dab then shake off any excess. Then apply a quick layer.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Mr. Green, what style of white Dykem do you use please?
Liquid. I have also divided the full container into 4 smaller containers. Dykem evaporates quickly and becomes to thick. I have also tried thinning it but propotions have not worked out well for engraving. The original solution is best for engraving and the reason for keeping it in small containers. I have not tried the pen applicator yet but will.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Clarity of Transfer: How Clear? Clear is a word that is subjective. The clarity for me is more than sufficient for following with a graver. I am 77 wear progressive eye glasses, I can see the sharp edges of the transfer with either my "Cheaters" Opti-visor or my scope. I do not trust my glasses without using one or the other no matter what I am looking at as it relates to engraving.

papart1

Liquid. I have also divided the full container into 4 smaller containers. Dykem evaporates quickly and becomes to thick. I have also tried thinning it but propotions have not worked out well for engraving. The original solution is best for engraving and the reason for keeping it in small containers. I have not tried the pen applicator yet but will.
applied with a q-tip I think?

Mike576

Check on Tira Mitchell's pattern transfer kit. She sells these for about $16 something. I like her beading tools also. They are very durable.
I agree her beading tools are fantastic, ill check that kit out as well. Acetone transfers are nice but having clear sheets make life a lot easier when it has to be in the right spot.

Latest posts

Sponsors