Holding Work Under Microscope

DDBright

What do I need to do to set up my GRS ring holding clamp at the same level where my Engravers Block sits?

My microscope is focused at a level where the Engravers Block sits IN my bench pan. It is at the right focal length to be able to see the block and I can put certain things into the block and set diamonds at that level. I would like to use the GRS ring holding setup to hold rings and use the microscope to set with, but I know of nothing that will allow me to install the ring clamp at that level, I know that I am not the only one who would like to do this. I talked to a neighboring jeweler this morning and he has the same desire. To work with the GRS ring holding clamp that would be installed typically on a jewelers bench he said he is still using his visor and not the microscope. He said that he would need a "high chair" to be able to use the microscope to set diamonds. I am about 6 inches taller than this guy and I would still need some type of higher chair to be able to use the ring holding clamp and the microscope.

Does anyone have some type of setup they are using that would allow you to install the ring holding fixture at a much lower level? (the same level that the block sits at)

Thank you,
David

Andrew Biggs

You need to be able to lower your vise. You can use the GRS shelf setup or you can use a drill press stand like I do. I'm sure there are other ways as well.

This gives you the luxury of raising and lowering your work at will...........while the microscope stays at the same level for your seating arrangement.

It is worth the time, effort and minor expense to do this as it gives you complete versatility with your work.

Cheers
Andrew

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I set up my microscope to work with my mega block in the bench pan I have the same problem. I usually don't work in the pan with the scope however. If you were to use the micro block and the ring fixture combo it would be quit easy to raise and lower that block with simple wood blocks under the micro block to bring it to the correct hieght. Also the micro block only weighs 4 pounds so it is much easier to lift to the benchtop to work without the scope when appropriate. just a thought-Fred

Jtan

Can you show us some pictures of your set up? Hope it is too much to ask? :biggrin:

Thanks,
Ron

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
X2 what Andrew said...You will NEED to have the ability to adjust the Vise up and down for many items. I use the GRS shelf and it allows me a pretty good range. Rifle barrels excluded. They just take being very creative :)

Donny

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know witch GRS fixture you are talking about, but I use bench mate, what I have done is worked at the problem backwards to the way you are looking it. What i mean is, think about setting up your bench for the ring holing fixture... mine was set on blocks so I just removed one layer, but you could actually cut some off the legs if you needed to (just make sure your knees still fit under it.) From here it is easy to find a block to set your engraving block on that raises it up to the level it needs to be to focus, while engraving. one major down fall to this approach is you don't want to start engraving anything to hard, without bracing things to eliminate vibration; if you don't you'll break a-lot more tips on your graver.... for this reason I've also gone with Andrews suggestion... I just set it up on another bench, so I'm not changing back and forth constantly. It's going to depend on what you need to do. I hope this gives you food for thought

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would seriously consider one of Chris D's holding fixtures and look at the Lieca A60 scope for a stonesetting set-up.The ring fixture is more efficient and hold your work solid.The scope has a larger field of view and better depth of focus. As far as work stations go, do the Andrew thing,it is the most practical set-up with a scope.

Latest posts

Sponsors