Announcement: Hi I'm a newbie

goldigger

Hi everyone,

Just joined today, we don't have an engravers forum (that I have found) here in the U.K. so I will probably ask a few daft questions at first.
I've been in the jewellery trade since 1975 and have run my own workshop for 30+ years.
I have used professional engravers in the past but I now own a Gravermax type machine and am trying to teach myself to engrave, it sure is a looong learning curve, so any help as regards set up of the machine would be helpful (I didn't get any instructions with the kit) I've got 2 handpieces one of which has a hammer action and the other one is what I would call the cutter/engraver.
I will be using the hammer action to compress the rub-over setting for stones and the other for cutting the stone bearings etc. Also any advice about microscopes please.
Any set up advise would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,

Nige

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Nige, and welcome to the Cafe. GRS has many manuals and instructions on their website so check that out for setup procedures. As for microscopes, there's a helpful post in the Tips Archive that can help you with your microscope purchase.

To shorten the learning curve, take a class as soon as you can. You'll be up and running in no time.

Cheers / ~Sam

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Absolutely agree with Sam! Take a class ASAP. When you leave the course you will be able to begin producing small, but saleable engravings. The amount of time you dedicate to practice, along with knowing the right way to go about it, is priceless, and will determine the speed you progress. Besides, you can get a vacation and write it off.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Nige, me to I'm a goldsmith for over 30 years. I never had a class, I think we goldsmith have some advantage learning the art of engraving faster.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors