Here we go, first photo

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, well I finaly got a camera and took a pic of the buckle I engraved. It is still flat (for the photo) I can shape it with a kiss from a very large (5 ton) arbor press. It is .062 thick, the background is .030 deep.

It was cut with a square graver (90 degree) and the back ground was removed with a number of flat gravers.

I know it is simple compared to what I see on the Forum but I will keep trying.

scott99

Attachments

• e1.jpg
    e1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 222

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
The camera is a Nicon COOLPIX L810, As to the settings the thing was on auto mode. I am not very familier with digital picture taking.

As fo a critique pleas I can use all the help I can get so knock ypourselves out.

scott99

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
O.K. Off come the gloves! No, really there is not a lot of critique, but you have gotten your main tendrils too far out to the edge, and this has caused what is known as "elbows". These are knobs on the scroll backbone, which don't flow properly. You can clean them up in this case by carefully recutting at the egdes to get a more pleasing scroll. All but one of your trendrils have this problem. I would also suggest at least a little shading on the tendril to give it more depth and life. maybe a little line just inside the inside edge and maybe one near the outside as well, or you could do a broken line down the center. Also try a little bit of shading where one element crosses another. Shade the underpassing tendril with small lines flowing along the long direction of the element. Just some thoughts.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you asked,here tizz-- the scrolls are a bit cramped being so close to your border. this makes them look too flat. the scrolls to me appear to be confused as to the direction they should flow. lacking a natural sort of flow direction makes for a bit of visual chaos. i'd like to see more shading in this one. a nice buckle, however-- i'd wear it.

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
HI, I want to thank everyone for the Critique, you have given me somthing to avoid that I had not even thought of. I will do my best so no "ELBOWS" show up in my next piece. Thanks again you help is invaluable.

scott99

Latest posts

Sponsors