Help with Silentaire Compressor

cobbdaokie

Ive got a silentaire dr-500. I took the cover off the motor housing to change the oil, didn't pay attention to the how the gasket fit and now I can't for the life of me figure it out. The rubber gasket has 2 tabs with holes in them that look as if bolts would go thru them, however there are no bolts. I went to take a picture with my phone, dropped it and shattered my screen! :eek:

I emailed the manufacturer, it being a saturday problably wont hear from them until monday, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's probably just a gasket they use for multiple applications so as long as there is gasket under the lip of that top you're fine. It should still be somewhat shaped to the rim so you can figure out where the long sides are; I'd ignore the tabs except to place them so that they are not where the clamp comes together.

There isn't any real pressure trying to blow the lid off those things but it is tricky/finicky getting the seal to stay under the lip while you put that band clamp back around the joint. Take your time and work that under there so that your clamp overlaps as neatly and evenly as possible.

Does that gasket have some ribs around its periphery or raised parts? I had one that was just a giant rubber o-ring, and on another model it was a flat gasket that seemed not to fit exactly but is what it came with. That last one was the tricky one to get back in place.

Last edited:

cobbdaokie

It's probably just a gasket they use for multiple applications so as long as there is gasket under the lip of that top you're fine. It should still be somewhat shaped to the rim so you can figure out where the long sides are; I'd ignore the tabs except to place them so that they are not where the clamp comes together.

There isn't any real pressure trying to blow the lid off those things but it is tricky/finicky getting the seal to stay under the lip while you put that band clamp back around the joint. Take your time and work that under there so that your clamp overlaps as neatly and evenly as possible.

Does that gasket have some ribs around its periphery or raised parts? I had one that was just a giant rubber o-ring, and on another model it was a flat gasket that seemed not to fit exactly but is what it came with. That last one was the tricky one to get back in place.

Thanks Tim, you don't know how much better i feel knowing that i wasn't loosing my mind in see that the gasket doesn't fit exactly. It does have some grooves around the gasket and you can see an impression around the lip. here are a couple of pics. gasket.JPG motor 1.JPG

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep, exactly like mine and a mighty poor gasket design in my opinion but it works. Ignore those rascals (lobes with holes) and make it fit as evenly as you can, that's all you can do. It'll be fine.

Last edited:

cobbdaokie

Thank you guys for helping me out, got that bad boy back together and in operation. I ended up making a cut in the rubber gasket and tacked it down with black rtv, made it so much easier. And again I really appreciate the help.