Hello,

gunmaker

Hello from a rank beginner in hand engraving. Hope to get some info and meet some new unknown frinds here. Been making muzzleloader firearms since 1979, but know very little about the engraving on them, I have tried it "a little" got Jack Brooks DVD and went at it. Glad to have found this site...Tom

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Tom, welcome! These days there are lots of sources for information on engraving and this site is one of the best. The Firearms Engravers Guild of America (FEGA) will have its annual meeting and show at the Riviera this coming January and there will be a lot of engravers there for you to meet and enjoy. It is in the International Sporting Arms section of the Beinfeld show. Advertisement above.

There is a fairly recent book out on engraving antique style guns and maybe someone more versed in that will chip in.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Sam Welch's comments. The FEGA show is right in your backyard. Most of us travel hundreds of miles to be there and count ourselves lucky to have the opportunity. Andrew comes all the way from New Zealand; about a bazillion kilometers away.

The book Sam mentioned, ENGRAVING HISTORIC FIREARMS BY JOHN SCHIPPERS is directed specifically toward embellishment of black powder firearms in the traditional manner, using traditional tools and motifs. Large book on high-quality paper, spiral bound, to lie flat on the bench, it is an excellent book for new engravers. Price is $130, but Amazon has used copies for $105.

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
I'll second Mike's suggestion. I see John Schippers twice a year at the Spring & Fall shoots in Friendship, IN. He's a nice guy and willing to share his knowledge. His book could be considered a companion to Meek's book for the muzzleloading crowd (like me). It goes into great detail on the basics and has many high quality photos of his work. John's a hammer & chisel guy, so if you want to be traditional his book is a good intro to engraving. It is rather specific to his style, but would certainly be worth the money for the stage you're in now.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
+Welcome to the Café. Grab a cup and explore the tips section, igraver tutorials, gallery, Buy, sell sections. Don't forget the search function for easy access to specific topics. There many who will freely offer help, advice, and friendship. Myself included 9been at this a long time. Fred

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have tried it "a little" got Jack Brooks DVD and went at it.
With all due respect to Jack, some people are ill equipped to make videos. Watching his is like watching soap melt. A friend lent me a copy and I tried watching it twice, but couldn't make it thru before turning it off. If you cut out his ramblings, it would only be 1/4th as long.

Agree about Shipper's book and there are a plethora of tutorials and videos on the 3 engraving sites.

FerrousOxide

Welcome to the forum! As a near-newbie my best advice is to find someone that's doing the kind of work you want to do and to learn from "hands on"... there is no substitute for seeing and doing with your own eyes and hands. Best of luck! :)

And yes, there is a TON of good info here on the forum... spend a few hours digging around! :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum. i wish you success in your efforts to learn engraving. i disagree about the schippers book. there's a lot there that's quite valuable to any newbie. whether or not they intend to engrave front stuffers. a friend loaned me his copy. if he loans me the book again, he aint gittin it back !

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Hello and welcome, This is a great place to learn. I was a gun maker, muzzleloaders, but struggled with engraving. I took a weeklong course at GRS Corp. in Emporia Kansas. It changed everything. You quickly learn how to sharpen your tools and use the best equipment. It didn't take me long to put aside the muzzleloaders and turn to other things. Once you learn to draw nice scroll work and cut it, it opens up a whole new world. That was 4 years ago. I have completed a second course at GRS this past July and plan to take another this coming summer. I have engraved modern guns, key fobs, knives, and other items. Learning to do a nice engraved script is something every engraver should learn. Putting initials or a name on something can be completed quickly and it can bring in a few extra bucks.

Something to remember is that we don't all have what I call "art sensibility". Some people are natural artists. Some of us have to learn it. That is why it is important to study the work of others. Learn what is good design and what is not. Get a sketch pad and draw every day just as you would if you were a musician practicing a musical instrument. Also I would recommend instructional DVD's, or go to youtube and watch engravers at work. You want to be able to correct your mistakes when drawing. DVD's can show you that.

If you don't have John Shippers book it is highly recommended. The muzzle loading hobby benefits from each sale. John is an amazing man an a skilled artist craftsman. I had a chance to talk with him for a time and I can't tell you how much I admire him for what he has been able to accomplish. He tells a little about himself in the book.
Good luck

Latest posts

Sponsors