Critique Request hello like a man without experience please critique

karamundi

Hello at last found some time to do this today, I like an aluminum plate engraved with hand tools because I can not afford pneumatic and ask for criticism and advice for a newbie

Attachments

• DSCI1483 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI1483 (Copy).JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 341
  • DSCI1494 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI1494 (Copy).JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 340
  • DSCI1490 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI1490 (Copy).JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 338

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, i'll critique your foto first. for me there's too much glare that hides some of what you've done here. your cutting seems quite rough, and lacks consistency. this will be overcome by practice. you do need to concentrate a good portion of time practicing drawing. there's no substitute for quality drawing. you can master the graver and all its' intricacies, but with poor drawing, you still have a poor engraving. take heart, with practice, and a positive mind set, all this "stuff" will fall in place. for drawing practice, i advise keeping a journal of looseleaf, or a portfolio. this way you can see your progress. don't be shy to post here. most everyone will help you along in your pursuit of a difficult art to master. btw, welcome to the forum. take some time, and go thru what's available here.you will be surprised what you can learn doing this.

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
My advice would be to spend some time finishing the plate before you start.
Supposing your project came out awesome, it would be spoiled by the irregular surface.

karamundi

Thank you very much for the advice will try no more time for that is slower

Attachments

• DSCI1605 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI1605 (Copy).JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCI1607 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI1607 (Copy).JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCI1612 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI1612 (Copy).JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCI0012 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI0012 (Copy).JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCI1611 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI1611 (Copy).JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCI0001 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI0001 (Copy).JPG
    61 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCI1615 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI1615 (Copy).JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCI0004 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI0004 (Copy).JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, it seems i must eat my words.your drawing/cutting here are much improved over your first post. photography much better, as well. good stuff

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, you obviously have the skills to progress in this field. I would suggest that you concentrate on shading for your next project. Look at the shading tutorials here at the cafe and try to get the same effect in your work. And please post the results. We all like to see good engravers progress!

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
tips and tricks

Hi Karamundi.

I am pretty new at this myself. I just thought i would mention a few things that have helped me. Get yourself a tube of white watercolour paper, cotman watercolour works pretty good... others are probably fine as well. Print out a drawing you like and rub soft pencil to the back of it, then just put it on your metal, tape it down and draw over the top, you will be impressed with the quality of the transfer. Other meathods involve a laser jet printer, acetone, and sticky tape... i haven't mastered that one yet. Just whatever you do keep having fun. If the glare of the metal bugs you while you're engraving feel free to touch it up with some sandpaper first, fairly fine, and then some finer grade when you're done. However as Sam Alfano warned me it's unwise to sand over really fine line shading... it tends to "ruin hours of work with one stroke of sandpaper". So i always sand before I get to the shading part to knock off any burs on my plate. Keep up the good work. There's a long way to go and it's fun all the way. Regards, Danae.

karamundi

thank you very much for your advice but I try a lot of hard metals is difficult to engrave by hand there are two other works a little early and instruments which I made them

Attachments

• DSCI0025 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI0025 (Copy).JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCI0031 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI0031 (Copy).JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCI0026 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI0026 (Copy).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCI0030 (Copy).JPG
    DSCI0030 (Copy).JPG